Eat, Drink and Be Irish

By Hannah Martin, News Staff

Eating spots to check out on Saint Patty’s.

Eat.
Fill up on Irish fare this Saint Patrick’s day at a few leprechaun-loving spots. The Pour House (907 Boylston St., Boston) is serving it up classic corned beef and cabbage tonight for just $7.95. The Kinsale Pub & Restaurant (2 Center Plaza) is featuring dishes like Tipperary Ale Mac & Cheese and Guinness Braised Short Ribs. For a step up, check out Cuffs at the Back Bay Hotel (350 Stuart St.) where Chef Raymond Southern’s special menu includes Guinness-poached prawns and Irish stew. And for the real daredevil, Penguin Pizza (735 Huntington Ave.) will make corned beef and cabbage pizza.

Drink.
More than leprechauns or four-leafed clovers or the patron Saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick’s Day is about one thing: drinking. So make sure to find the best places to throw ’em back on the big day. Bars like McGreevy’s, Irish Village, Grafton Street, Tommy Doyle’s, Field, Jame’s Gate, Cornwall’s, Independent, Kinsale and Murphy’s will greet the evening sans cover fees. Be sure to check these “Irish” drinks off your list: The Frozen Leprechaun, the Irish Car Bomb, the Pickleback, the Irish Coffee, a Pint ‘o Guinness and a giant sloshing mug of green beer.

Refresh.
To celebrate Saint Patrick’s and this newly-warm weather, check out some Irish-inspired frozen treats like the March flavors at J.P. Licks (352 Newbury St.). They include Mint Irish Lace, Irish Coffee spiked with Jameson, Leprechaun Brew made with local Sam Adam’s, Baileys Chocolate Chip Cheesecake and Irish Orange Sorbet mixed with Chardonnay and Irish Whiskey. Who needs a pub when you can indulge in these refreshing takes on hard Irish drinks?