Scoring rampage sinks Dragons

When the field hockey team went 4-6 through the first 10 games of the season, the it was clear was someone needed to step up and lead the floundering Huskies.

Since then, NU is 3-0 with Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) wins over Delaware and Drexel and a non-conference win over Harvard. It seems Northeastern has turned the corner and will contend for the conference championship in November.

“We are more aware of each other on the field so our passing is improving,” said junior assistant captain Ashley Webber. “Everyone from the freshmen to the seniors have really come into their own and everyone is contributing.”

Wednesday the Huskies visited Harvard (0-10, 0-2 CAA) and came back to Huntington Avenue with a 2-0 win. Sophomore midfielder Ashley Bascetta scored her sixth goal of the season in the 32nd minute of play. Freshman Suzanne Hazelzet passed the ball from the top of the circle to Bascetta, who turned and fired the ball past the Crimson keeper to give the Huskies a 1-0 lead heading into halftime.

The Huskies added an insurance goal three minutes into the second half, when senior co-captain Whitney Shean beat the Harvard defenders and crossed the ball to Webber, who scored on the open net.

Junior keeper Liz Centofanti earned the win for the Huskies, but a solid defense kept her from having to make a save in the game.

“It feels good to have someone reliable in the goal,” Webber said. “We had three people trying for the spot but Liz has stepped up and we trust her back there.”

On Friday, the Huskies returned home to host CAA opponent Drexel. The Dragons were sent home with a 7-0 lashing at the hands of NU.

Northeastern took possession of the ball early and controlled the pace of the game for the full 70 minutes. The Huskies got on the board in the 28th minute with a goal from junior forward Stephanie Casper. She took a cross from Shean and scored her sixth goal of the season. It temporarily tied her with Bascetta for the team lead in goals.

Three minutes later junior midfielder Ashley D’Ambra notched her first goal of the season off a breakaway. With a comfortable 2-0 lead the Huskies headed into halftime.

Ten minutes into the second half Casper took the team lead with her seventh goal of the season, assisted by Shean and D’Ambra on a penalty corner.

In the 49th minute Webber picked up her first of two goals within three minutes. The first was an unassisted goal and the second came off a pass from Casper in the 51st minute.

With the game out of Drexel’s reach, NU continued the scoring with goals from Bascetta and sophomore forward Rachel Wilkes.

“We play to score goals and we play to win,” Shean said. “We absolutely were not going to give up in that game.”

Bascetta’s goal put her back in a tie with Casper for the team lead at seven.

With just two saves, Centofanti registered her third consecutive shutout. She came out of the goal to break up two potential Dragon breakaways.

The Huskies are back in action tonight at Connecticut at 7 p.m.