Huskies snap four-game losing streak with double-overtime goal

By Mike Puzzanghera, news correspondent

With less than a minute remaining in double-overtime, second-year forward/midfielder Dan Munch headed fifth-year forward Harry Swartz’s cross across the keeper and into the back of the net, giving the Huskies (2-5-0 overall) a 1-0 win over Holy Cross (1-3-3 overall) Tuesday, Sept. 18.

This was the Huskies’ first overtime win of the season, coming after overtime losses to Long Island University Brooklyn and Vermont. It was also the Huskies’ first win since the opening match of the season, snapping a four match losing-streak.

“I’m still in shock. For a while there I didn’t know if the goal was ever going to come,” head coach Chris Gbandi said. “I thought we played pretty well at times but just couldn’t find the final ball. So to finally get it there with 59 seconds [left], it just felt good, and it felt like a deserved win to be fair.”

The Huskies almost had a breakthrough in the first overtime period, when first-year forward Ryan Massoud’s 94th minute header was cleared off the line by the Holy Cross defense.

Late in the second overtime, first-year forward/midfielder Stach Jaran let a shot fly from the edge of the box, hitting off of the left post and rebounding out to the wing. Seconds later, Swartz cut the ball back onto his right foot and whipped it in a cross to the back post, which was met by Munch with a downwards header that left the keeper rooted to the spot as it bounced into the back of the net.

“I saw Stach got the ball, took it down with his chest and hit the post, and I thought, ‘jeez that might be our last chance,’” Munch said. “Then I saw Harry, on the wing, get the ball, and I just knew to make my run, and Harry put in a beautiful ball. It’s really a team win, I was just lucky enough to find that last head.”

Munch added that the team felt they were playing well and improving all game.

“As the game kept going we were building more momentum, and then in overtime we just did our thing and found the finish,” said Munch.

Gbandi said that despite how well the team was playing, he was still surprised when they scored the goal. He added that the team’s experience in playing overtime games this season was helpful in seeing out the result.

He said the win was a great moment for the team after losses in the past few games.

“For our guys, just getting that win and getting the opportunity to celebrate is something that was much needed,” said Gbandi.

Unfortunately, the Huskies could not capitalize off in their first conference matchup of the year last Tuesday against James Madison University, or JMU, (4-2-1 overall, 2-0-0). Playing on the road, Northeastern lost 1-0 as the Dukes scored the go-ahead goal in the 71st minute by junior defender Brandon Clegg off a corner kick.

Despite conceding 18 corners to the Dukes, the Huskies held off the JMU attack until the goal from Clegg behind five saves from second-year keeper Noah Abrams, which tied Abrams’ season high.

The Huskies managed two shots throughout the entire match, both coming from last Tuesday’s matchwinner Dan Munch, with one shot hitting the crossbar in the 23rd minute.

The Huskies look to rebound Saturday against Elon (3-4 overall, 0-1) in another CAA matchup. Both teams are without a win in conference play, with one loss each.