Vaccine prevents cancer, stirs up social controversy

By Cynthia Retamozo

Ever since the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Gardasil, the first vaccine against Human Papillomavirus (HPV) types 6, 11, 16, 18 in June 2006, controversy has surrounded the issue.

HPV is a virus transmitted through sexual contact that causes common and genital warts. Certain types have been found to cause abnormal development in the cells along the cervix, leading to cervical cancer, according to the Gardasil website.

Steps have been taken to make this medication treatment available, and even mandatory for those eligible to receive the vaccine. The state of Texas has required all middle school-aged girls to get Gardasil, which is given by three injections over six months.

According to Dr. Gary Hall, the medical director of University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS), the main controversy is while preventing HPV and cervical cancer, Gardasil also prevents genital warts, a common sexually transmitted disease (STD).

Conservative religious groups feel this sends a subtle message detracting from the idea of abstinence.

“First and foremost, the vaccine is to stop cancer,” said Hall, who is an advocate for Gardasil. “Even if women do abstain from having sex, they can still get cervical cancer.”

Massachusetts currently has no intention of making the vaccine mandatory, said Dr. Alfred DeMaria, the chief medical officer of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

DeMaria said HPV is not readily transmitted in an elementary or middle school setting, and should not be on the same level as required vaccinations like measles.

“I don’t think it should be mandatory for a school setting,” he said. “But women should still get it because it saves lives.”

Hall said the earlier a child gets any vaccine, the stronger the immunity they have. This is why infants as young as three months get vaccines for measles and polio, he said.

Another controversial issue is whether men should receive the vaccine or not, as they can also transfer and get HPV.

Hall said, studies have shown that Gardasil is also effective on men, however, the time and effort it takes to get things approved by the FDA has Merck ‘ Company, the marketers of the vaccine, hesitant to go through the process again to get it approved for male use.

Currently, UHCS is distributing Gardasil to female students, but they have limited supplies.

To receive the vaccine, female students have to get a prescription from UHCS, pick up Gardasil from a pharmacy and take it to UHCS, where a doctor will perform the injections.

Hall said they can either have the shots covered by their insurance companies or put it on their Husky Cards.

Freshman psychology major Stefanie Kronenfeld looked into getting the vaccine in her hometown in New Jersey because of its benefits, but decided against it because of the cost, which is about $360 for the three treatments.

“It’s really expensive, but I still want to get it because it’s preventing a disease,” she said.

Despite the price, Samantha Canning. a freshman international business major, said receiving the shot would be a good precaution for all women to take.

“People are going to have sex whether they get it or not,” she said. “So it would be better to be safe than sorry.”

Sophomore international affairs major Jamie Webber received Gardasil around the time it was FDA approved. She said she feels those who are against the vaccine because of its supposed subtle messages are not looking directly at the issue.

“I don’t feel it promotes casual sex,” she said. “It’s not just about the warts, it’s about the cervical cancer which all women are susceptible too, married or unmarried.”