NU blocks faculty union election for the second time

Northeastern administration responded to the April 9 petition to hold a union election for full-time, non-tenure track faculty with a statement of position released April 16.

Northeastern%27s+full-time%2C+non-tenure+track+faculty++refiled+their+petition+stating+their+desire+to+unionize.+

Northeastern's full-time, non-tenure track faculty  refiled their petition stating their desire to unionize.

Northeastern's full-time, non-tenure track faculty refiled their petition stating their desire to unionize.

Hayley Slusser

Hayley Slusser

Hayley Slusser

Hayley Slusser, news correspondent

Editor’s Note: The print version of this story, in the April 18 issue, used an inaccurate headline. It read that NU blocked a union election for a third time, when in fact they blocked it for a second time.

Northeastern administration responded to the April 9 petition to hold a union election for full-time, non-tenure track faculty with a statement of position released April 16. The statement, filed with the National Labor Relations Board, or NLRB, stated that unionization is “not appropriate” because the faculty are technically managerial employees.

The filing seeks to overturn a case from 2015, Pacific Lutheran University v. SEIU Local 925. This case declared that full-time, non-tenure track faculty can only be labeled as managers if they have specific managerial duties. Managerial duties apply not only to the faculty’s role in shaping academic programs, but also enrollment policies and finances.

In the filing, NU stated the Pacific Lutheran case was “wrongly decided” and that NU “intends to challenge that decision.” If a judge rules in favor of the university, it could undermine faculty rights to unionize at private universities throughout the country.

NU cited a case from 1980, NLRB v. Yeshiva University, in which the court found that any faculty members with a role in shaping the curriculum can be considered de facto managers.

The initial court date is set for April 24, but because of the risk to other schools, it is unclear whether or not the NU faculty will revoke their petition.

“We won’t jeopardize the rights of our colleagues across the country by entering a legal battle presided over by an outspokenly anti-union Board,” faculty union organizers wrote on Facebook.

The protesting full-time, non-tenure track faculty are urging administrators to change their position before the scheduled court date. In their Facebook post, they asked for members of the community to join them on April 18 to protest Northeastern’s response outside Ruggles.

• NU blocks faculty union election for the second time

Campus

Northeastern Public Health Advocacy Institute initiates lawsuit against Juul

Campus

Speaker celebrates ‘un-Instagrammable selves’ as 4,000 graduate

Campus

Sit-in at Visitor Center disrupts prospective student tours

Campus

Northeastern alum named 2019 Latina Leader by Amplify Latinx

Campus

Buttigieg’s candor ignites interest on campus

Campus

Student summer plans span the globe

Campus

Fraternity members walk in support of mental health awareness

Campus

NU faculty march for unionization with newfound community support

Campus

Ciuccarelli brings ‘meta design’ research to CAMD

Campus

Uncontested Brown-Nobile slate elected with 61 percent of the vote