Homecoming meets Mardi Gras

By Emily Unsworth and Ann Livermore

Northeastern students should clear their schedules, for Homecoming week is in the works, and a vast array of Mardi Gras themed events are planned.

Many neighboring colleges and universities normally take great pride in their homecomings’ attendance and overall support. Northeastern, however, has failed to meet those standards thus far. Over the past few years, attendance has been low for a number of reasons, such as overlapping events. Last year, students who might have wanted to see the pep rally were not able to go because of a stronger desire to watch the opening face-off at the hockey game.

“This year, we want to make sure everyone has enough time to attend as many events as they want, and not feel like they missed out at the same time,” said Heather Blutilier, the chair of Northeastern’s Homecoming Committee.

Blutilier is pushing to get as many people involved and become aware of the excitement surrounding the improved homecoming agenda.

The first day of Homecoming, Tuesday Nov. 5th, will have a banner contest during the day, and it will also allow NU students to view this year’s homecoming court. Voting for the homecoming court through e-mail has been discussed, but a decision has yet to be reached.

That Wednesday, on the first floor of the Curry Student Center, there will be a Fat Tuesday theme. Students are encouraged to dress up in their best Mardi Gras apparel. A Masquerade Ball is scheduled for that Thursday, where students are encouraged to dress in Mardi Gras style, and prizes will be awarded for costume creativity.

Whether or not the pep rally will be held that Thursday or Friday remains uncertain. One problem with holding the rally on a Thursday is that students on co-op may not be unable to attend the events scheduled for the day due to work-related responsibilities.

However, the committee is willing to agree on an indoor pep rally in the event of bad weather. Starting the weekend on a positive note, Friday’s events begin with the Clash of the Classes, which will be held in Krentzman Quad. The big event that day will be the Men’s Hockey game against the Providence Friars. The royal court will also be announced at the game. That Saturday, there will be the Husky football game vs. Villanova, as well as a carnival and parade.