On-campus students find entertainment through Summester 2007

By Bobby Feingold

Summer is here and some college students are free to enjoy tropical destinations, labor at summer jobs or catch up with high school friends.

To keep students occupied, Northeastern is offering four months of activities and escapes as part of its Summester 2007 progamming sponsored by Campus Activities.

“There really isn’t any other traditional programming at Northeastern, aside from maybe a few student groups who hold a BBQ, so this is a good supplement for fun adventures,” said Tasha Henderson, assistant director of campus activities. “Students may be bummed out to be in class, but Summester is a fun way to get off campus.”

Henderson said student demand for summer endeavors was at an all-time high and event tickets sold out faster than ever before.

“We’ve already had to pull five or six events after just the first day on sale,” Henderson said. “But selling out is a good problem to have.”

Tickets for Summer I events went on sale May 15, while Summer II tickets are available July 5. There is still an opportunity for students to wait in line to purchase tickets with cash or a check at the Campus Activities office the week of events.

Trips to locations like Martha’s Vineyard, Salem and Newport, RI, are popular with both students and faculty, Henderson said.

Whale watching in Plymouth, deep sea fishing in Gloucester and sight-seeing at Attitash Mountain cost students $20 or less.

Students can also attend two scheduled trips to Six Flags of New England, one of the most popular events, Henderson said. A chance to visit Water Country is scheduled for mid-June. Duck Tours around Boston are new for this summer.

Henderson said they used attendance numbers from the past to determine what events to offer this year. She said with a large school like Northeastern, and a high population of summer students, there is a huge demand for summer activities.

Mike Casey, a middler architecture major, said the trips out of Boston are good for students who don’t have their own transportation.

“It offers an escape to students who don’t have means of a car in Boston and who need to get out of the city,” Casey said.

Megan Rose, a middler graphic design major, said she was not interested in the Summester activities and would prefer to plan her own trips off campus.

“I’m from Massachusetts, so these kinds of trips don’t appeal to me the way they would to someone at Northeastern who isn’t from New England,” she said. “I wouldn’t want to go with other students. I’d rather just go on my own with my own friends on my own time.”

Taylor Manalili, a junior chemical engineering major, said she will be attending the trip to Martha’s Vineyard.

“I’m very excited,” she said. “I’ve been once before.”

While full-time co-op students may be working during some of these functions, they can attend night-time productions of The Light in the Piazza Theater, performances by the Blue Man Group and a trip to the New England Aquarium. They can also attend the Duck Tours, which will take place on a Saturday. Henderson said there will be more emphasis placed on activities for co-op students next summer.

To check out all the Summester events and purchase tickets, visit the calendar at www.neu.edu/curry /summester07.