Facing charges, two students weeded out

It started with a trip to the restroom before their plans went down the drain.

“If you’re looking for weed, my roomate Ferrante has some for sale,” Michael Emery allegedly said to a young woman as he leaned out his residence hall window.

Nearby, a pair of plainclothes Northeastern police officers, who stopped to use a bathroom on the first floor of Smith Hall, overheard the incriminating sales pitch.

Police found the students running an open-door operation. In plain view of the hallway, police reports show, officers passed by their second-floor room and saw a bottle of Grey Goose vodka, a shot glass and a plastic bag containing marijuana.

After knocking on the door and identifying themselves, the officers entered the room and spoke with Emery, and Matthew Ferrante, both 18.

Inside the room, they spotted a steady supply of pot and a small tye-dye glass smoking pipe, according to reports. Outside the window, they found a pulley system made from two empty plastic bottles, white rope and duct tape that connected with the room directly above.

According to a release issued yesterday by the Suffolk district attorney’s office, police searched the room and recovered eight small bags of marijuana packaged for individual sale, a larger bag containing three to four ounces of the leafy green substance and hundreds of clear plastic bags. The officers also found a vaporizer, a grinder, a bong and a glass pipe, each with marijuana residue in or on it, as well as a digital scale.

The men, who graduated together last year from Central Catholic High School in Lawrence, allegedly told officers they shared the contraband in the room.

Along with the Grey Goose, officers seized $430 from a backpack on the floor and $615 from Emery’s wallet, as well as bottles of Malibu Rum, Smirnoff Twist and Southern Comfort that were in the refrigerator.

Emery could not be reached by The News; Ferrante declined to comment.

Both men were arraigned Tuesday in Roxbury District Court. They pleaded not guilty to possession of marijuana with intent to distribute in a school zone, possession of alcohol by a minor and conspiracy to violate the state’s drug laws, and were released without bail.

At least one of the students “spent some time there before somebody bailed him out,” said Jim Ferrier, associate director of public safety.

A Northeastern spokesperson confirmed yesterday that Emery and Ferrante were no longer enrolled as students at the university.

Ed Klotzbier, vice president for student affairs, talked about the arrests Tuesday during the annual “Welcome to the Neighborhood” event for incoming students.

“We do not and will not tolerate such behavior,” Klotzbier said, noting that both students received scholarships from the university.

About 20 incidents occuring in the residence halls were reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution during the three-day holiday weekend, Assistant Director Tanner Chesney said in an e-mail.

For Ferrante, parting may not have been such sweet sorrow. By yesterday afternoon, he had listed Merrimack College, which is located in his hometown of North Andover, as his most recent institution on Facebook.

His favorite quote rounded out the online profile with a touch of irony: “America isn’t about freedom, it’s about money.”

Both men will return to court on Oct. 24.