Students visit former mayor’s home, revel in history

By Veronica Schiebold

James Michael Curley’s house in Boston, a place not open to the public, was recently visited by Urban Politics students during Summer II.

Professor Larry Overlan, who is writing a book about Curley, the former mayor, was able to bring his students for a tour given by Richard Dennis, Curley’s stepson, who is the only person still living that lived in the house with Mayor Curley.

“It was great to meet the last person alive to live in the house,” said Corey Miller, a senior political science major.

Former Massachusetts Senate President William Bulger was also a guest on the tour. He told students he voted for Curley during his last run for mayor.

Dennis told students and guests stories about Curley. He spoke of how people would line up at the back door to speak to Curley, and he would let them in and help them in whatever way he could.

“It’s great when you learn about a person, like Mayor Curley, in a classroom setting and then get first hand information about him as a person and politician directly from his peers and family,” said Rachel McCloskey, a middler political science major.

Curley began his political career in 1897, when he first ran for the Boston Common Council. He served four terms as mayor, two terms in the US House of Representatives and one term as governor of Massachusetts. Curley ran for one office or another every election year from 1897-1958. He even went so far as to overlap offices.

The mayor’s house overlooks The Jamaicaway, overlooking the pond. The house, like Curley himself, symbolizes the rise of Boston’s Irish. Adorned with shamrocks on all the shutters, the house represents the culture.

The house sits three stories high, with a spiral staircase. Most of the original furnishings are gone.

The house was built in 1915, a year into his first term as mayor. Curley sold the house in 1956, when it was purchased by a religious order. The order owned the house until the 1970’s, Overlan said.

Boston now owns the property, and it is considered a landmark. The house is currently used by the park rangers, and for events like weddings, Overlan said.

Overlan said he thought the house and the experience was outstanding. He has even talked about including a DVD with footage of the house as part of his book.

“Boston history during Curley’s time came alive again for a brief moment,” Overlan said of the event.

Students, like Josh Robin, a middler political science major realized the significance of this visit.

“It was certainly the kind of experience that brought history to life. It really took the experience beyond the classroom and made it feel real.”