Aoun urges students to explore options in school

By Drew Bonifant

The message of the convocation for Northeastern’s 110th class was simple and straightforward: Take advantage.

In a ceremony featuring speeches from President Joseph Aoun, Provost Ahmed Abdelal and Student Government Association President Joey Fiore, among others, freshmen were encouraged to seize opportunities presented to them throughout their careers at Northeastern.

President Aoun, beginning his second year at Northeastern, focused on a similar point to the one he emphasized in his first convocation address – that change should be embraced, not avoided, and that students who explore different majors and subjects often get the most out of their educations.

“It’s OK to change. It’s OK to explore,” he said. “I’m going to encourage you to explore different opportunities. Don’t restrict yourself to one major. Don’t play it safe.”

Aoun also emphasized that the quality of a Northeastern education is determined more by the jobs a student gets after school than the first job he or she gets while in school.

“The purpose of an education is not to get you your first job only,” he said. “We will do that, with co-ops and experiential education. The purpose of your education is not to get you ready for your first career, but your second and third and fourth, and to prepare you for life.”

Fiore gave the first speech of the ceremony and spoke about taking advantage both of Northeastern as a school and Boston as a city.

“Congratulations, you are Huskies,” he said. “You are soon to be the proud owners of one of the most rewarding, well-rounded educations available. You have two options: You can make the most of this wild ride that is your college experience, or you can sit back and let it pass you by. I highly suggest the former.”

Fiore also touched on the importance of school spirit and the pride associated with being a Northeastern student.

“School spirit here is based on pride in all aspects of this university,” he said. “Look at our athletic events as venues to display your pride. Wear the red and black often, and wear it with pride. The most important part of your school spirit is taking pride in what you will do while you are here.”

Abdelal agreed, praising the students for their decision to attend Northeastern instead of their other choices.

“Since you are here, we know you have excellent credentials,” he said. “Your choosing Northeastern tells us you have wisdom as well.”

The speeches, as well as the remarks from presidential scholars Geetha Mylvaganam and Stefanie LoSavio and Senior Vice President Philomena Mantella, impacted on the students in the audience.

“Overall, I thought it was great,” said freshman applied physics major Mike Garcia. “I thought it was encouraging, because I think so many people do waste their time. The time is limited here … and I think it’s great that everyone here encourages us to make the most of it.”

The ceremony left many of the students with an eagerness to begin their careers at Northeastern.

“I’m excited. It’s going to be fun,” freshman computer science major Matthew Hart said. “New place, I get to meet new people.”