Ancient Egyptian expedition attracts students

The expert archaeologists huddled together. They exchanged nervous glances and tried to decipher their mission from the crackling voice of Director Cavendish.

They had three tasks: Enter the ancient Egyptian tomb, reconnect with a long-lost professor and find the Pharaoh’s mummy.

These archaeologists, students from Boston-area colleges, were about to embark on 5-WITS’ Tomb, a 45-minute journey through three chamber-like rooms where their vision, hearing, strength, courage and problem-solving skills would be challenged.

They were participating in last Thursday’s College Night, an event organized by middlers Matt Collette and Stephanie Turmelle and junior Brittany Blackmon.

Collette, a journalism major, said the event was organized as a way to increase awareness of the Tomb, which is located at 186 Brookline Ave., across the street from the Landmark Center.

“We were looking for ways to get people in and increase sales. This was a neat way to try something different,” he said.

Students, who usually pay $16 to experience the tomb on weekdays, were given half-price admission. Collette said they advertised the event through Facebook and word-of-mouth and that all Boston-area students were invited to attend.

Lucas Neiley, general manager of 5-WITS, said it offered an opportunity for students to interact.

“This is something that you and a couple of your friends can come out and do,” he said. “It’s a slightly more wholesome experience than what [college students are] often presented with.”

The evening’s first expedition began at about 7:15 p.m. Two Northeastern students, junior English majors Chessie Monks and Peter Franklin, clung to their flashlights while listening to the instructions from Cavendish and Collette, their tour-guide.

Shortly after entering the tomb, the thick rock door began closing behind them. Collette yelled in fear then resigned to his fate in the tomb.

“Since we can’t go back, we might as well go forward,” he said.

A large statue of the Pharaoh sat in the dimly-lit chamber. A skeleton, presumably of the lost professor, leaned against a column. The lights lowered, leaving the students dependent on flashlights, which flickered and failed after several moments.

The students were greeted with an evil laugh as an image of the Pharaoh’s face was projected onto a sheet of falling water.

“There is no place to run, no place to hide,” the Pharaoh threatened before explaining the students’ predicament.

They would encounter several challenges before being able to witness the Pharaoh’s mummy and leave the tomb. If they failed or took too long to solve the challenges, they would be drowned by water from the Nile River, the Pharaoh said.

In the first room, the Pharaoh tested their senses. Students were asked to find palm-sized disks on the chamber’s walls.

“When you have found enough, I will be satisfied that you have the eyes of a falcon,” the Pharaoh said.

Students were told to reproduce the Pharaoh’s seven-note melody by tapping on sound-disks on the walls. They then stood on small rectangles as “serpents” circled their feet. The final challenge in this room required them to push the Pharaoh’s statue against the chamber wall.

Monks said she enjoyed the first chamber of Tomb.

“It was fun to explore the tomb and feel around,” she said. “It was very hands-on.”

The next room featured problem-solving challenges for the archaeologists.

“In this chamber I will puzzle your minds; I think we may be in trouble here,” the Pharaoh joked.

In this room’s first challenge, students reassembled the floor tiles to match a circular pattern on the wall. The challenge was escalated when the wall pattern began spinning. After solving this, the students had to reconstruct a pyramid by moving disks from another pyramid in the room. The rules prevented them from moving more than one disk at a time or placing a larger disk on top of a smaller one.

Monks and Franklin quickly solved these challenges and were then allowed to enter the Pharaoh’s burial chamber. An empty sarcophagus lay in the room’s center, its lid pushed aside.

“To leave this place alive, you must now do something for me,” the Pharaoh said.

He said his spirits were restless, as his body did not rest in the sarcophagus where it belonged. He then presented challenges that would help release the Pharaoh’s body from its confinement above the chamber’s ceiling.

Franklin said this last chamber was his favorite part of the experience.

“I thought the part where you had to match up the symbols was kind of neat,” he said. “You were just thrown into it and you didn’t really know what to do.”

The tour guides led about six more trips through the tomb. About 25 students attended, said Collette. He said he plans to organize a similar event at the beginning of fall semester.

“I think Tomb is a great way for students to get together,” he said. “It’s something a lot of college students would overlook, but it’s a pretty unique experience.”