Editorial: Budgetary bliss

The Huntington News constantly asks for transparency within the administration. One of the places we actually get is during the yearly budget meeting this Wednesday during activities period at 333 Curry Student Center.

This year there have been many improvements for Northeastern’s student body including the lowest tuition increase in 50 years. This is a great sign that Northeastern is becoming more financially responsible for its actions, which hopefully will increase student participation.

An improvement made during the budget meeting that will seriously affect students studying habits was that all floors in the Snell Library will now be open 24 hours, so if want to study, eat, sleep, pick your nose, or any other past time on the floors of the library you can. Northeastern Insomniacs have been heard.

There will also be university-wide printer use, which will make it more accessible for people to print instead of worrying your going to be late for class while waiting in line to use the info common printers.

Other positive changes made in the budget are an increase of financial aid for a drop in a family’s income, more equipment for certain areas, investments in more classrooms around campus, and two new bike stations which allow student’s to rent bikes for use around campus. That’s right, if you’re bored of walking or are tired of crossing the street the old fashion way, now you can ride a bike.

When Northeastern complies with student’s demands, we should be more appreciative. It was an open meeting that anybody could attend, but there were only about eight people who attended– two of which were writers. Northeastern students should take initiative and go to these discussions and voice their concerns. This is something we should take advantage of, rather than accept the improvements until something goes wrong.