Editorial: SGA in disarray

The Student Government Association (SGA) has been going out of its way to remind its constituency that it’s summertime.

The point was driven home this week after SGA lost a second member of its elected executive board from a resignation brought on by unclear, personal reasons.

After running for re-election in April as vice president for financial affairs, Chris Kelley said he would resign at the end of the summer to give “senators who are currently working on their eligibility” a chance to run for the position. At Joint Senate on Monday, Interim-President MJ Paradiso spoke for the absent Kelley, saying Kelley had stepped down two months early and would not take office at the start of his term next semester.

This marks the fourth summer in a row that an SGA e-board member has resigned and the second this month.

Such a seemingly innocent game of musical chairs comes off as a play for power. Senators should be representing the student body as honest lawmakers, not reshuffling positions to best suit their own personal interests.

So far, Senator Valeria Gioioso, a junior behavioral neuroscience major, has expressed interest in holding the position.

The catch: She plans to step down at the end of August.

With sunny days and humid temperatures still ahead, it begs the question of why two candidates have come forward to serve in the position only through the end of the summer. However, that same perspective on the weather may explain why two candidates have also stepped down.

Or, it could lead to the next move in this ongoing shuffle.

In April, Senator Rob Ranley was nominated for the same position but abruptly declined accepting it as his nomination was pending confirmation. Ranley also cited personal reasons for his decision, saying he felt “out of the loop” with the way the student government allocates its resources and he would need the summer to catch up.

But his pending nomination was not without conflict.

As a former grand master for the university’s Kappa Sigma fraternity chapter, Ranley presided at the group’s helm in the wake of an off-campus party that resulted in many students being reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution and his chapter being placed on probation.

With only 25 senators presiding Monday, this refresher on Northeastern history may have been overlooked.

If feeling “out of the loop” was the deciding factor, why has Ranley apparently decided to let another election cycle pass by and a second temporary candidate come forward to fill the void?

By voting to cut his term early, Kappa Sigma members allowed Ranley to vacate its executive board on his own terms.

The Senate seems to be taking an opposite approach, though still catering to Ranley’s needs, saving a seat for a fallen brother.