Cross Country: Runners lag at Franklin Park

By Cynthia Retamozo

On Friday, the men’s and women’s cross country teams competed at the Boston College Invitational in Franklin Park where they both placed last in each team’s respective heats.

Husky veterans took the weekend off to prepare for the Oct. 6 New England Championship meet while the freshmen and underclassmen were given the opportunity to get used to competing at the collegiate level, said head coach Sherman Hart.

“I was very pleased with both teams, especially with the freshmen,” he said. “This was their chance to compete well and take pride as freshmen.”

Freshman Annie Scully led the women’s team, placing 44th in the 5K race with a time of 18:53. Following suit were freshmen Christi Gallagher (19:32), Kristen Martin (20:27), and Liz Ochse (21:14) placing 60th, 72nd and 83rd, respectively.

The men’s team was led by Andy Cazcau, a freshman who came in 52nd in the 8K race with a time of 27:14. Sophomore Josh Boss finished in 57th (27:32), freshman Matt Weber in 69th (28:31) and junior Ricky Fendorak in 74th (28:49).

Next Friday, the Huskies travel to Hamden, Conn., where they will compete in the Quinnipiac Invitational as a full team. At this meet, returning veterans, like senior Tom Brown and middlers Kristie Gagnon and Brittany Moriarty, will compete alongside the newcomers.