Hispanic Heritage Month kicks off with dance

By Nick Carpenito

Several Latin American organizations kicked off Hispanic Heritage Month at Northeastern Saturday with Latin Night at the John D. O’Bryant African-American Institute.

Upon entering the Institute, students received green entrance bracelets and heard rap, hip hop and reggae-tone music, which blared from the Cabral Center. By 11:45 p.m. students who left were not allowed to re-enter the party because organizers expected the event to reach full capacity.

“Usually, people trickle in from nine to 11, it starts getting going at about 11,” said Victor Morales, internal vice president of the Latin American Student Organization (LASO). “We have reached capacity of about 250 to 300 kids every year.”

Morales compared the dance to those from earlier academic days.

“The dance hall is usually like a high school dance with the girls on one side and guys on the other, but eventually it really takes off,” he said.

Since summer, Morales has worked with LASO members and non-members in planning Latin Night among other activities for the month.

“[Latin Night] is basically an icebreaker for to kick off Hispanic Heritage Month,” he said.

Elaine Leitao, external vice president for LASO, was responsible for advertising the event to surrounding schools so other students could attend the event. She said she also worked with members of the Boston Intercollegiate Latin American Network.

Other students from the Boston area said they were drawn to the evening’s social aspect.

“My school never has events like this so it is great to be in the network and have the ability to come out to events like this,” said Faralene Rivera, a Bay State College student.

Latin Night was open not only for students involved in LASO, but for the entire Northeastern community. Many students said they attended to support the groups organizing the dance.

“I came out to support the groups involved and to support Hispanic Heritage Month,” said Tristen Grannum, a senior English major at Northeastern. “It’s important to recognize all the cultures within the community and this is one way to do so.”