Neighbors call noise, arrests into question

By Kate Augusto and Derek Hawkins

Numerous complaints about loud parties led to the arrests of 10 Northeastern students at three different parties on Mission Hill in the early hours of Sunday, Sept. 16, officials said. But neighbors of at least two of the students who were arrested said they thought police overreacted.

Kyle Siconolfi and Julia Burkardt, two of the students who were arrested, told their neighbors in advance that they planned to have a party Saturday night at their apartment at 1548 Tremont St. One of their neighbors, Lisa Paquette, a senior sociology major, was home when police arrived and said she didn’t think the party was excessively loud.

“You could hear their music through the floor, but you could hear music from other apartments as well,” Paquette said. “Their party wasn’t destructive. People weren’t lingering. It was contained.”

Jeff Doggett, director of government relations and community affairs, offered a different account of the scene. He accompanied Boston police to each location, and said that parties were so loud that they woke up neighbors who then called 911.

“They were so loud that we could hear it at least a half a block – more than 100 yards,” Doggett said.

According to a Boston Police Department (BPD) report, officers entered Siconolfi and Burkhardt’s apartment at 12:41 a.m. after receiving complaints of loud music, and saw about 35 people inside.

After identifying themselves as the residents of the apartment, they were arrested for keeping a disorderly house – a broad state law that targets excessive noise, underage drinking and public intoxication.

Siconolfi and Burkhardt are both 21 years old. Police took the identification of the party’s attendants and reported no one from the party to be underage.

Doggett said he had visited the apartment during Labor Day weekend and warned Siconolfi and Burkhardt of a zero-tolerance policy for loud parties, according to the police report.

Contrary to this, Siconolfi said she and Burkhardt were in Connecticut for the holiday weekend, and were not previously warned of the policy by Doggett.

“That is entirely false,” she said. “We had just moved into the apartment. That’s a blatant lie. Our apartment was empty over Labor Day weekend.”

Doggett said he couldn’t comment on any specific incident.

Also contrary to the report, Siconolfi and Burkhardt said there were no more than 20 people in the apartment when police arrived. They also said their windows were closed and there were no guests outside their apartment.

Comments from neighbors on Tremont Street generally support the statements of Siconolfi and Burkhardt. Of at least six neighbors on the block contacted by The News, three said they were aware of the party, but said they were not offended by the noise level.

“I felt like it was unfair that they got arrested,” said Nicole Mortillaro, a senior sociology major who lives at 1548 Tremont St. “As far as I know there aren’t any families with small children in the immediate area. And if it were college kids complaining I feel like they would have told them to quiet down before calling the cops.”

Speaking specifically of the case at 1548 Tremont St., James Ferrier, associate director of public safety, said multiple warnings will lead to harsher punishments for students hosting large parties.

“Part of [Doggett’s] role is he often will ride in the car with a Boston police supervisor and when they hear a noise complaint, he will be able to go. He can at times get [students] to quiet down and make them realize that if they don’t later that night