LASO events no easy feat to pull off

Students who have not had the opportunity to plan an event do not understand how much work goes into making one successful. Northeastern’s obsession to reduce liability can complicate the most minute details for an event as small as a bake sale.

For Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM), leaders from the Latin American Student Organization (LASO), Society of Hispanic Engineers and the Latino/a Student Cultural Center (LSCC) have been working together since mid-June to make the events that run from Sept. 15 through Oct. 15 possible. First we had to outline the goals, secure venues and lock in potential performers or service providers. Then we proposed to the Budget Review Committee (BRC), which began the lengthy contract process with the Campus Activities Office marketing, discussing set up and schedule, and the list goes on.

If that doesn’t sound daunting, you must above all consider what actually brings in the crowd. This takes understanding your members and their needs. Given our well known sense of the family atmosphere and member-driven initiatives, HHM has begun taking on a life of its own. With a mix of students diverse in experience and background we decided that our mission statement should be “To celebrate aspects of Latino Culture through enriching programming that will educate Northeastern University and the community at large.” We then worked on trying to display the various aspects we believe stick out in the Latin culture while addressing issues and exposing our community to unconventional programming.

With all the success committee has fortunately had thus far, I cannot help but notice that, in general, events that are educational, rather than entertaining at the core have less of a bearing in attendance. This is the tricky part in my opinion – how do you make something fun, yet meaningful? I feel optimistic that this year would bring us closer to mastering an answer for the question. This year’s Food Carnival, held last Wednesday, was amazing. With more than 500 people in attendance, it began with the powerful annual tradition “The Parade of Flags” followed by music played by Fiesta Del Norte and food from Caribbean, Central American and Latin American countries. The Parade of Flags is a message to the university exclaiming the Latino existence, as well as a show of the pride we as students have for our heritage. To me, it is one of the rare events that seemed to capture both goals successfully.

Tonight, the HHM Committee will be celebrating the opening of the Art Gallery at the Curry Student Center, starting at 6 p.m. (lasting until Oct. 13). “An Exhibition of Latinos in Literature ‘ Art,” will be beginning “Art Week” Oct. 1. On Oct. 3, an interactive activity, “Cajitas: A Mexican Tradition,” will make a centerpiece of communal art for the gallery. Oct. 4 will see “Jose Rios: A Puerto Rican Painter” which will also take place to give the week a well-rounded balance of different expressions within the Latino Culture. All events take place in the Curry Student Center Inner Quad ‘ Art Gallery. This is a perfect chance to give an educational opportunity to the community as well as make it interactive for everyone to enjoy. For more information on the upcoming HHM events, please contact [email protected]. Now that you, the readers, know our collective mission, would you come support our cause?

– Victor Morales is a senior English major and the executive vice president of the Latin American Student Organization.