Women’s center an “important resource”

This generation seems to have taken itself off the map as a vocal participant in the fight to end violence against women. Ironically, the prevalence of stalking, domestic violence and sexual assault on college campuses is anything but gone.

The Campus Center on Violence Against Women exists to educate the university on the matters of stalking, domestic violence and sexual assault. These issues are not fought and won; these horrific crimes continue today at unacceptable rates, most prevalently on college campuses.

College-aged women are the largest group of victims of sexual assault in the country. This emphasizes the importance of making sure all students are aware of the means to prevent and respond to sexual assault, while also raising their voices on a larger scale at the injustice of violence. The Campus Center is a student-led program aimed at spreading awareness and providing prevention and response tools to Northeastern.

The Center is an important resource for the university. Numerous events and opportunities are available. Last Thursday was the annual Rape, Abuse ‘ Incest National Network (RAINN) Day Campaign. Its goal is to encourage students to get involved and bring about a discussion about assault on campus. As you’ll see, Northeastern’s Campus Center is involved with this issue full force. These are important issues, and not talking about them because it’s uncomfortable or unknown is only a contributing factor in the perpetuation of these crimes. Understanding the issues of violence against women is necessary in the fight for its end. An informed and active citizenry, as shown throughout history, has proved to be the most potent force for change against injustice.

Last Saturday, the Northeastern School of Law held a conference, “Violence Against Women: How the Law Responds.” Professors, activists and volunteers examined the role of the law and how it has affected the crisis of violence against women during the past 40 years.

Tomorrow, there will be an art workshop at the center, and Monday, Oct. 15, there will be a Panel Presentation on domestic violence.

The Campus Center is a vital resource in the fight against stalking, domestic violence and sexual assault. It also serves as an essential force, not only for the purpose of awareness, but as a civic responsibility. These men and women are champions of a cause that is shamefully underrepresented and unknown to many. Safety from sexual assault and violence has been a struggle for generations, and while important strides have already been won in the eyes of the law, there’s still much work to be done.

The benefits of a quality university education can’t be realized if women’s lives are put in jeopardy by such easily preventable crimes. College women are four times more likely to be victims of rape. And one in six women will be victims of sexual assault by the time they’re 30 years old. This issue affects all of us and we’re all responsible for its prevention. Everyone can play a role in this fight and if we are to achieve great things as a generation, we have a moral obligation to see that these crimes and effects are eliminated. Get involved. Join the Campus Center’s Facebook group, attend an event, inform yourselves – whether male or female – this is everyone’s responsibility. Help to ensure the lives of victims of the past are some of the last. We all play a role, whether as an activist or by speaking up in the face of injustice.

– Sarah Sophia Dean is a sophomore political science and history major.