Brightwings get intimate, soulful

By Erin Oliveri

The Kappa Sigma fraternity’s fall concert series continued Thursday night with a performance from Boston-based rock band The Brightwings.

The Brightwings, comprised of two guitarists, a keyboardist and a drummer, performed to a small but attentive crowd at afterHOURS. Lead vocalist and guitarist Dave Dombroski produced a deep, soulful and sometimes country sound. Bassist Matt Rafal and keyboardist Dan Holden also took turns at the mic. The band created three-part harmonies and extensive instrumental breaks.

The most popular song in the band’s set was “All I Need,” recently featured on MTV’s “The Real World/Road Rules Challenge” and “Real World: Denver.” The guitar melody, prominent drum backbeat and catchy chorus made the song an instant classic.

In addition to playing several original songs, The Brightwings played some covers including: “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash, “Sweet Child O’ Mine” by Guns N’ Roses, “Billy Jean” by Michael Jackson and “Baby Got Back” by Sir Mix-A-Lot.

The small crowd allowed for a more intimate feel, allowing the them to interact with the band more.

“Thanks for stopping down,” Dombroski said in a break between songs. “I don’t know if you were coming down to eat or whatever.”

Later, Dombroski persuaded five students to join him in singing “Na Na Na Na,” to the chorus of a song. Additionally, the band gave the crowd some options, telling fans to shout out suggestions.

Some students came to the show to support Kappa Sigma.

“[I came because] the frat I’m trying to rush was hosting it,” said junior criminal justice major Kiat Cormier. “It sounded somewhat interesting.”

Other students came to see The Brightwings because they needed a break from schoolwork.

“I didn’t want to study for midterms,” said Sophie Helsham, a freshman business administration major.

Kappa Sigma’s fall concert series will continue through November with performances by Common Thrill, Sucka Brown, Lucy Vincent, among others.

Rob Ranley, grand master of ceremonies for Kappa Sigma, said the fraternity selected performers who were local and inexpensive, and The Brightwings fit the description.

“Once we found out that the price was right, we jumped at the chance to have them perform on campus,” Ranley said in an e-mail.

Northeastern alumnus Rafal said he enjoyed playing at his alma mater.

“It’s cool,” Rasal said. “It’s a nice set up.”