Footwear meets fine arts

By Myung Jin Lee

Fashion just strolled onto Huntington Avenue.

A shoe exhibition titled “Walk This Way” opened at the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) Sept. 27. Twenty eight pairs of shoes including ancient Greek sandals and cleats worn by Red Sox pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka, hide throughout the gallery.

The MFA is the first museum in the country to have a separate fashion department. Susan Ward, one of the exhibition co-curators in the textile department, said every exhibition takes at least a year in advance to prepare; curators must begin looking and thinking about themes before deciding what to bring.

The 28 pairs of shoes were selected to accompany the MFA’s exhibitions based on their historic, artistic and cultural relevance. Prada donated one of the 2006 F/W Paris Collection shoes, which has carved wedge heals. This pair of shoes is displayed with eighteenth-century artwork.

“[The] shoe is kind of interesting,” said Diana O’Donnell, an MFA spokesperson, of the museum’s decision to use shows as a motif.

Many visitors said they enjoyed “Walk This Way.”

“I love it. I think it is great. The whole idea of this exhibition is really nice,” said Thalia Bardell, a freshman at Emerson College.

The exhibition opened at the MFA’s third annual College Night, when the museum invited local college students to view galleries, listen to live music and receive discounts at the gift shop. This year, 2,200 students attended the event.

“This is to let them know it is their museum,” O’Donnell said. “This year, we [were] thinking of opening the shoe exhibition ‘Walk This Way.’ And it is just a coincidence [that] this time of year the shoe exhibition [is a] good hook for college students. [It’s a] little more fun and a little more different.”

Some students said the beige suede sandal that belonged to Marilyn Monroe, paired with color photoscreenprint of Marilyn Monroe (1967) by Andy Warhol, was the best match.

“It is amazing,” said Sebastien Buet, a senior marketing major at Boston University.

However, some students said they had a hard time finding “Walk This Way” in the museum.

“Shoe exhibition? I saw some of them but I didn’t realize [it was an exhibit],” said senior marketing major Stephanie Blanfarb.

“Walk This Way” will be displayed through March 23, 2008. Admission is free for Northeastern students with a student ID.