Husky Happenings

First faculty art exhibition opens next month The department of art and design is holding its first annual faculty exhibition Nov. 8 through Nov. 30 in the Curry Student Center Art Gallery. Faculty works in painting, photography, print, graphic design, installation, sculpture and video will be displayed. Participating artists include Sophia Ainslie, Edwin Andrews, Mira Cantor, Julie Curtis, Isabel Meirelles, John Kane, Ann MacDonald, Neal Rantoul, Andrea Raynor, Matthew Rich, Tom Starr and Ann Steuernagel. An opening reception, where the artists will informally discuss their work, will be held Thursday Nov. 8 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. – Matt Collette, News Staff

Kaplan Center hosts free graduate practice tests The Boston Kaplan Center Team will host free practice tests for students considering graduate, law, medical, business or dental school. On Saturday, Oct. 20, students have the opportunity to take the MCAT, GRE, LSAT, GMAT or DAT tests for free. Kaplan instructors will provide a detailed report of student’s strengths and weaknesses based on test results and will review helpful test-taking strategies. Students can register for any of the tests at www.kaptest.com/practice. – Matt Collette, News Staff

Students can support, watch Red Sox on campus Students will be able to watch every American League Championship Series baseball game in both the first floor of the Curry Student Center as well as the Stetson West dining hall Levine Marketplace. Viewers in the Curry Student Center will be able to win prizes and have free snacks. Any student with an NU ID can enter Stetson West after 8 p.m. to watch the game and enjoy free snacks and beverages. Regular meals will be served until 8 p.m. – Matt Collette, News Staff

Renting workshop discusses rights, services The Off Campus Student Services hosted a Renters’ Rights workshop for students last Thursday. Dion Irish, assistant commissioner from Boston’s Inspectional Services Department, and Lori Fanara, from the Boston Rental Housing Resource Center, instructed a dozen Northeastern students on legal rights as renters, tips for negotiating with landlords and city resources to contact when problems arise. During Student Turnover Weekend – when city departments were in the neighborhoods handling problems people had with their new apartments, a total of 210 properties were identified for follow-up by the Inspectional Services Department (ISD). The ISD was able to obtain the necessary information to allow the city to enforce a safety or sanitary regulation. Jeff Doggett, director of government relations and community affairs, said Mission Hill had the most with 86, topping Fenway, Beacon Hill and Allston-Brighton. Violations should be reported to landlords in writing. He said if the landlord does not make necessary repairs, call 617-635-5322 – Marc Larocque, News Staff