Homecoming an opportunity to show spirit

Events filled to capacity with cheering students. Sunny days where football games are won in overtime and the hockey team dominates its competition. These are my memories of last year’s Homecoming.

In my mind, Northeastern is far more than its academic ranking in the US News and World Report – enviable though it may be. Northeastern is a school of motivated individuals who give their nights and weekends to help their student organizations and sports teams; a school of students who strive to excel in classes and co-op. More than anything else, Homecoming is about celebrating these individuals, student organizations and all aspects of life at Northeastern.

This year’s Homecoming week, from Monday, Oct. 22 to Saturday, Oct. 27, already features widespread participation from student groups, residence halls and athletic teams.

The Student Alumni Association is this year’s co-sponsor of the Monday night Homecoming comedian Jim Gaffigan. There are 13 student leaders participating in the Meet the Court Competition on Tuesday night, all vying to become this year’s Homecoming King and Queen.

Seven students will face off in a debate Wednesday night to determine who will become the next Mayor of Huntington Avenue, and the fall sports teams will be on display at Thursday night’s Pep Rally before they compete for victory. The Resident Student Association will be firing up the barbecue and the Panhellenic Council will be providing desserts, all in the name of student pride.

Friday, Northeastern’s men’s hockey team will take on UMaine for the first of two games Homecoming weekend. Saturday, the parade will feature 23 groups walking and riding golf carts, and an unprecedented number of decorated floats, and for the first time, there will be floats by residence halls. The day also features a carnival and a football game as alumni and parents return to campus.

Throughout the week, 18 banners created by student groups will be on display in the Indoor Quad of the Curry Student Center. All will pay homage to this year’s theme of Husky Classics – the transition of Northeastern throughout the decades – and what makes each group unique.

The week couldn’t be possible, however, without the full collaborative effort of students, faculty and staff taking pride in the school and its history.

So, ask yourself: what is your Northeastern? Get out there and show your spirit – whether it be pride in your sorority, student government or pre-professional association. With its unprecedented collaboration, unique events and a host of great sports teams with games throughout the week, Homecoming Week 2007 guarantees to have something for everyone.

– Theresa Langschultz is a middler international affairs major and the 2007 Homecoming Chair.