Student stories in full color

By Michele Richinick

Students may find it difficult to share their stories and learn about the diverse cultures and talents of other individuals, but a new event may change that.

Tonight, the Asian American Center (AAC), the John D. O’Bryant African-American Institute (AAI) and the Latino/a Student Cultural Center (LSCC) will offer students the opportunity through “Colored Aloud.”

The open mic is open to the community to share any kind of art form. It will be held tonight at 7 p.m. at the AAI.

“We wanted to work together to plan an event to collaborate the three cultures,” said Dana Sheck, a middler sociology major and an LSCC organizer for the event. “But when we looked at the individual calendars of events for the three cultural centers, they conflicted, so we decided on planning an event together.”

Scheck said the goal of the event is “to bring together all students, especially those of color, to come out and share their stories, their artwork or anything else they want to voice.”

The collaboration between the students and staff of these three centers will feature expressions of self, including artwork, poetry and photography.

“The primary goal of the event is to create a space to share stories, talents and to build community,” said Nuri Chandler-Smith, the coordinator for the Writing, Oratory and Research Development Program at the .

Delia Cheung Hom, director of the AAC, said the event will have a casual atmosphere with impromptu performances by the individuals who attend; there are no pre-arranged presentations.

Those who planned the event had to work quickly due to building arrangements.

“We had to put the event on a week earlier than we had planned, due to scheduling of the [Cabral] Center,” said Honorio Franco, a junior English major and an LSCC organizer for the event. “It’s still in the works, but we are thinking of compiling a basket of sorts where people can feel free to go up [on stage].”

He said “Colored Aloud” will serve as a trial and error event; the students and staff organizing the event will make accommodations as the night progresses. They will know what aspects to improve for the next event they hold in this collaborative series to bring these cultures together, he said.

“We want people to feel a sense of community, and for people from every culture to come and feel comfortable,” Franco said. “It was put together quickly, but we want it to be an ongoing event.”

Despite the event’s uncertain participation and success, the planners said they remain hopeful and optimistic.

“I’m excited for the event,” Hom said. “This is the first time we have done an event like this together.”

The event is open to students of any nationality, something the planners said was important.

“We don’t want people of color to be an exclusion,” Franco said. “This is an open forum for all students.”

Students interested in signing up in advance can contact Jessica Man at [email protected]. Attendees can also sign up at the event.