Letter to the Editor: BRC money available for students

As college students, there is nothing more important than knowing exactly where our money is going. Being in college is an expensive investment and one of the most important investments we will ever make. It is an investment that is only as valuable as the effort we put in as students. Many students are unaware of the opportunities available to make the most out of their investment, through programming funding from the Student Activity Fee (SAF).

The SAF is collected each year as a part of tuition, and at $109 per student, the relatively obscure fee is often overshadowed by the tuition and housing costs that make up the majority of our bills. However, the SAF is one of the most important investments we can make at this university because it is the only fee that is student-initiated, student-allocated and available solely for student use. Once collected, the fee is allocated to student groups who then host a variety of events throughout the year. Major events like PIKEtoberfest, Springfest, the Kappa Sigma Comedy Night and Homecoming, and even venues like afterHOURS are all made possible through funding requested by students.

All student groups are eligible to request funding for events throughout the year. Resources are available from the Council for University Programs and the Student Activities Office throughout the planning process, especially for those students or groups that have never before attempted planning a program. The overall planning process becomes more complex for larger events, but the procedure to request funding is a simple one.

The Budget Review Committee (BRC) is a Student Government Association (SGA) committee charged with allocating the SAF. The BRC consists of six senators, six students-at-large (any student who is not a senator) and an advisor, and is chaired by the SGA vice president for financial affairs. The SAF Manual offers specific policies and procedures for the BRC and contains everything you need to know about requesting funding for a program. The SAF Manuel and the forms needed to request funding are available at www.sga.neu.edu.

Whether you are actively involved in programming for your student group or simply are content with enjoying the programs planned by others, every student has the right to benefit from the SAF. I have always believed that you do not need a title to make a difference, and even if you do not hold a position within your organization, there is nothing stopping you from having a great idea for an event. Never hesitate to contact your group’s executive board, or members of the SGA, with your ideas. The more we have students who actively plan events and use the SAF, the more we all will benefit from this investment.

If you have any questions about requesting funding or getting involved in the BRC, please feel free to contact me at [email protected].

– Rob Ranley is vice president of financial affairs for the Student Government Association, chair of the Budget Review Committee and grand master of ceremonies.

of Kappa Sigma.