Alcohol Awareness Week offers lessons in responsible drinking

By Ian Browning

Northeastern’s Alcohol and Other Drug Education Coordinator Chet Bowen does not think he can stop underage drinking at Northeastern. But through NU Alcohol Awareness Week, he wants to teach students to make educated decisions.

Bowen is trying to get students to drink responsibly and avoid addiction or binge drinking.

“The key is education,” he said. “This isn’t a week of saying ‘don’t do it.'”

Alcohol Awareness Week started Monday with events around campus.

On Wednesday at Centennial Commons, Resident Student Association members placed small stickers on people’s cups used to reveal the importance of being aware of drinking.

“If you didn’t notice someone messing with your drink in the middle of the day while you’re sober, how are you going to keep track of your drink at a crowded party?” Bowen said.

Special coasters were handed out that allow people to pour part of their drink onto it and see if it changes colors to indicate that a drink has been dosed.

Students 21 and older were invited to a free wine tasting to the Curry Student Center Ballroom Tuesday night that encouraged sipping instead of chugging.

“This was one of our most successful events last year, so we made it even better this year,” said Anthony Furnari, a graduate assistant who helped organize the event.

Two wine experts from Ruby Wine Distribution spoke to the crowd, explaining the intricacies among six different samples that were provided. Students were also given tickets that could be redeemed for drinks or entered in a raffle. One hundred and twenty students attended the event.

Senior mechanical engineering major Stephen Mag did not participate in any other events this week, but said he was satisfied from with the wine tasting.

“Free food and drinks are always good,” he said.

The Spiritual Life Center hosted a group of speakers from Alcoholics Anonymous in an intimate setting Tuesday afternoon. Three guest speakers told stories of their descent into alcoholism and their journey into sobriety.

“We feel that providing the small intimate discussion setting [is important],” said Director of Spiritual Life Shelli Jankowski-Smith. “And introducing a spiritual component to the discussion of alcoholism and recovery are special aspects of the week that the Spiritual Life Center can add to enhance education and awareness about alcohol abuse on the NU campus.”

Alcohol Awareness week was sponsored by many organizations including Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution to Greek organizations. On Wednesday evening Chris and Toren Volkmann, mother and son and co-authors of the book “From Binge to Blackout,” were the keynote speakers for the week. There are also activities in residence halls Thursday night, as well as a date auction Friday at afterHOURS. Proceeds will go to a substance abuse rehabilitation program.