Mardi Gras hits homecoming at NU

By Ann Livermore and Emily Unsworth

Homecoming is just around the corner and events have been announced and finalized.

This year’s homecoming celebration will take place November 4 through the 9th. The theme is ‘Mardi Gras Comes to Boston,’ planned by The Council of University Programs and the Office of Alumni Relations. Both groups have been working diligently since the summer in hopes of making Homecoming 2002 better than ever.

With a variety of new events planned, the theme as well as the agenda is being targeted more towards the NU college lifestyle.

‘Mardi Gras Comes to Boston’ looks, if anything, like a promising start to a new era of highly celebrated homecomings to come. Events scheduled included in the homecoming festivities are the banner contest, red and black day, a pep rally, parade, float competition and last but definitely not least, royalty voting.

Traditional athletic events also fill the agenda. Both the football and hockey teams will be participating in games during homecoming week.

A new addition to this year’s homecoming that’s stirring up some excitement is the carnival on Krentzman Quad supplementary to the Saturday program.

Homecoming Chair Heather Boutilier said unlike last year, people might actually show up.

“We are hoping for a much bigger response with the happier theme. Last year no one related to it, and I think that was one of the reasons for the poor turnout. Right now, I just hope everything goes as planned,” Boutilier said.

‘Mardi Gras’ may be an outlet for social interaction and husky pride.