New field won’t happen soon

Though no plan has been made nor has there been any more serious talk about it, it appears that President Richard Freeland and new Director of Athletics David O’Brien are looking for possible ways to fund a new football stadium on campus.

“There is no doubt that it would improve the quality of student life on campus,” President Freeland said. “It’s a part of what it is to be a major university in this country and part of the fun of college life is to be able to walk across campus and go to a game. I’d love it to happen. And it’s been a top priority of the students for at least the last two years.”

Though Freeland continues to support the idea of a new stadium on campus, the likelihood of it happening soon remains unlikely due to the large amount of funds it would take to build one.

“The big issue is money,” he said. “We have a lot of things we need to do and lot of things we need to spend money on at Northeastern such as better academic facilities and better residential facilities are at the top of the list. If we’re going to do that, we’re going to have to raise the money for it. We can’t borrow anymore. We’re getting to the point that our ability to borrow is reaching its capacity.”

Freeland has talked to O’Brien about the idea. O’Brien, while the AD at Long Beach State, erected a 15-story pyramid arena that can be seen all around the Los Angeles area and houses the basketball and volleyball teams.