Mile-High effort falls short at Matthews

Sometimes you just tip your cap to your opponent.

That’s exactly what the Huskies did against No. 2 Denver, who brought its ranking and speedy WCHA playing style into Matthews Arena Saturday night. Behind quick passes, low penalty play and a sharp netminder, they upended the Northeastern men’s hockey team, 3-1 in front of 3,751 rowdy Husky fans.

“I thought it was a pretty good hockey game,” said NU coach Bruce Crowder. “They’re a high-flying hockey team. We made a few mistakes, and shot ourselves in the foot. But we have nothing to be embarrassed about. I thought we played pretty good hockey. We had some chances late but [Adam] Berkhoel made some great saves.”

Northeastern, indeed, had chances to score, but came up empty, thanks in large part to Berkhoel’s 29 stops.

The Pioneers made the most of their opportunities, scoring twice in the first period, and once more in the second to make it 3-1. Denver fired 15 first period shots to NU’s seven, and didn’t allow the Huskies to take an offensive shot in their own zone until 10 minutes remained. (Brian Tudrick’s dump in from center ice was the lone Husky shot to that point).

The Huskies were able to stem the tide in shots, and managed to equal Denver’s output with 30.

“They’re fast, there’s no doubt about it,” said sophomore center Jason Guerriero. “They finish their checks, and we got tired.”

Denver got on the board just 3:44 into contest following a Brian Swinarski penalty for cross-checking.

Connor James received a quick cross-ice pass from Jon Foster on a 3-on-2 breakaway. James blistered a shot past NU goalie Keni Gibson glove-side to give Denver a 1-0 lead.

Denver had several chances to make it 2-0.

“They were buzzing around well in that first period,” said Gibson. “They attacked well but we held it together.”

NU was able to tie the game on a power play following a Matt Weber cross-check at 9:11 in the first.

On a Denver attempt to clear the puck, Ryan Dudgeon was able to keep the play in the zone by blocking the puck with his body. Dudgeon then fed defenseman Brian Nathe on the far side point. Nathe quickly fed Guerriero on the right side of the net, who threaded a pass through the crease to freshman Mike Morris, scoring his second goal of the season by lifting the puck over Berkhoel’s diving attempt to knot it at 1-1.

“I’ve told everyone,” Guerriero said. “I’m playing with the two best players I’ve ever played with. They make it easy for me. That’s a play we’ve worked on in practice to try and get it down to either me or Mikey (Morris). We got it from (Joe) Thornton and (Sergei) Samsonov. We watched them in training camp. Brian (Nathe) said, ‘let’s try it out.’ It’s been working here and there.”

Crowder agreed.

“They’re playing well,” said Crowder. “We have a first line that can play against anybody. We just have to find lines two, three and four. But there’s no doubt those guys play off each other extremely well. There’s no doubt they can create some excitement.”

Denver scored with 2:36 to go in the first when Aaron MacKenzie ripped a slap shot that Gibson says ricocheted off of Tim Judy and over Gibson’s left shoulder.

“Timmy (Judy) went down to block it, and he kind of screened me a little bit,” said Gibson. “I didn’t see him shoot it. The kid blocks so many shots for me, I’m surprised it got through him for once.”

Denver scored at the 14:57 mark of the second period when Brian Sullivan was able to pinch the puck in the Pioneer zone. But Foster came flying out of the penalty box following his high sticking penalty, and checked Sullivan jarring the puck loose. Two Denver skaters then streaked down the two sides and gained a pass from Foster.

Luke Fulghum got the pass and skated in on Gibson, dropped a pass to Lukas Dora in the slot and ventured to beat Gibson.

NU’s schedule doesn’t get any easier as the Huskies play New Hampshire on Friday and Wisconsin on Saturday.

“I know more about my team now then I did last week,” Crowder said following the 3-1 loss. “New Hampshire has that same team speed. I think this game was a good test for us.”

Added Gibson, “I hope I can get my first Hockey East win this weekend.”