Student records Red Sox reaction with new angle

By Marc Larocque

For Ike Agwunobi, the Red Sox World Series win was more than just a time to celebrate.

As the Sox players amassed at the center of Coors Field Sunday night, college students throughout the Fenway area gathered in Kenmore Square. More than 100 police officers in body armor were prepared. With helicopters in the air, so was the mainstream media. But Agwunobi hustled from a Huntington residence hall to retrieve a digital camcorder from his Boylston Street home, hoping to document what many labeled a riot.

“When the Red Sox won the last World Series, just seeing the videos produced then, there was a lot of crazy stuff that happened,” said Agwunobi, a freshman video art and film major at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. “It’s exciting to record this.”

As Agwunobi strode from his building with the camcorder in hand, he was swept into a stampede of celebrators. The police prevented the crowd from entering the two-block radius around Fenway Park, and redirected many students toward nearby college campuses.

Agwunobi said some of his motivation for making the video was to monitor police conduct. He cited footage of crowd control in the aftermath of the 2004 American League Championship Series, when an Emerson student died from a pellet gun injury caused by police in Fenway.

Scoping back toward the fa