I’ve Seen It All

Wouldn’t it add convenience to your life if you had five look-a-likes available to handle all your public appearances and arduous chores?

I would use my look-a-likes to represent different nods to fashion that I’ve always wanted to try out, but too afraid because of what “they” would think.

One look-a-like could tackle the preppy look, spending hours in the Abercrombie and Fitch stores with the droning techno music and beautiful salespeople. Another could be the “punk” with a combination of a Mohawk and some sweet leather pants. Another could give the impression that I just walked off the runway, while a fourth could just wear those sweatpants that I want to wear to class everyday. For the fifth look-a-like, they can just take a peek in my closet, because I don’t have the funds for all those clothes.

In a New York Times article two weeks ago, a reporter compared the look-a-likes of recently re-elected Iraqi dictator, Sadamm Hussein.

For safety precautions, he uses these cronies to make public appearances for him in order to evade assassination attempts or to exhaust the malicious man.

His idea to have followers is not a new one; the article highlighted previous dictators also using the same technique.

I would not mind sending number one to my statistics class, number two to my Spanish class, number three to my two journalism classes, number four can ride the train for an hour on Thursday and Friday nights to The Boston Globe for my part-time job at the city desk, while number five can work my other occupation at the College of Arts and Sciences for eleven hours a week.

So I don’t exhaust my followers, I’ll still handle my responsibilities at The Northeastern News and of course, any social obligations which may arise. I wouldn’t have to deal with my academics, work ethic, goals or pressures.

Then again, why would I do that?

I’m not taking responsibility for my own personality. Whether your personality be a malicious dictator or an uptight newspaper editor/student/worker bee, you need to take accountability for the activities and image that accompany your lifestyle.

The desire to have someone else around that looks like me, but can represent another style, is preposterous. I have this fear that people may think I’m a poser for trying to encompass too many styles into my wardrobe