Men’s Soccer: Dominance at Parsons

By Andrew Parente

The men’s soccer team continued its dominance at home this year, recording victories over George Mason Friday and Towson yesterday at Parsons Field by scores of 1-0 and 2-0, respectively.

Prior to the start of the Towson game Sunday, the Huskies honored their seniors on what was the last home game of the regular season.

Forward Ahmed Taalat, senior forward and captain Greg Kilkenny and midfielder Padraig Tangney were all recognized for their hard work throughout their career as a Husky.

The seniors did not disappoint yesterday either, as all three appeared on the score sheet.

In the 34th minute, Kilkenny received a free kick and sent the ball into the box. Tangney used his size to jump higher than the Towson defender and headed the ball into the net for his second goal of the year. Kilkenny was credited with his Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) leading ninth assist.

Led by sophomore goalie Mahmoud Talaat, who had four saves, the NU defense held strong against multiple attacks by Towson (6-4 CAA) on its way to recording its third straight shutout.

The seniors struck again in the 76th minute. This time, Talaat fired a shot from inside the box that hit the post and rebounded to Kilkenny, who hit the net for his sixth goal of the year.

The win secured a perfect 5-0 home record for the Huskies in CAA play, the first time they were able to accomplish that feat.

Friday night, the seniors also helped out, as Talaat recorded his team leading eighth goal of the season to led the Huskies past the Patriots 1-0.

Talaat received a pass from Kilkenny inside the box, beat one defender and buried it into net. The game had been scoreless until that strike in the 81st minute.

Northeastern improved to 8-8-1 overall and 6-3-1 in the CAA. That record puts the Huskies in good shape as they try to make the CAA playoffs for the second straight year.

“This league is very, very tight, and there is a lot of parody,” said head coach Brian Ainscough. “I look at a team that’s gone 6-1-1 at home this year and I really believe that we can play with anybody.”

Overall at home this year, Northeastern outscored its opponents 18-2. The defense for the Huskies has been one of the strongest in the league.

“All year long, the defense has been playing fabulous,” Ainscough said. “If you look at our three defenders, they’ve played almost every minute of our season.”

Sophomore Brendan Ennis and freshman Matt Sanford have been staples of the NU defense. Junior Jonathan Batista and sophomore Lars Okland have proven to be key players for the Huskies.

“Okland has been a huge leader back there for us along with the help of Batista,” Ainscough said. “Ennis and Sanford, I would hate to have to play against those two.”

Northeastern concludes the regular season Thursday when it travels to Hempstead, NY to take on Hofstra at 7 p.m.