Rushing to conclusions

Tonight I was meeting with a group of girls that I rushed with this past week. It was brought to my attention that there had been two articles published in The Northeastern News (“The good, the bad and the Greek,” Ocotber 16) about the sorority rush period. After reading the two articles, I was appalled at what was stated. These were opinions, not news articles. In the third column of the article by Lea Schmidt, she even admits that the point she is making is her opinion. One of the basic rules of publishing a newspaper should be that opinions stay in the editorial section and not become a news article. If opinions become articles than you could put this on the third page. That, of course, would be ludicrous just as it was absurd to put those “articles” where they were.

I just went through the same process these two girls did and find most of their opinions unfair. In the first article the author remarks, “By missing the first registration night, it felt like someone had already branded me as the outsider because I missed a crucial night of what appeared to be boy-talk over freshly baked goods.” I missed the first night also. However, I felt more welcomed because I was not able to make the first night. My recruitment councilor spent time catching me up and making me feel comfortable.

In the second article “Sorority life is not the life for me” the author brands all of the girls as the same. “One thing I noticed was that probably 50 percent of the girls were wearing Tiffany bracelets or necklaces. And almost everyone had to wear their sorority T-shirt.” All or even most of the girls wearing Tiffany jewelry was a major overstatement. Only one girl in my group had something on from Tiffany’s and without Tiffany items on I was still asked back to four of the chapters. The different Greek chapters have gone through rush before. They know the personalities that would mesh well with their chapter. When I saw girls from one of the sororities on Friday, they actually remembered things we talked about on our first night, things I did not even remember.

I believe the authors of the articles went into the whole process with the main purpose of finding things wrong, and the bias of their article dictates that their comments belonged in the editorial section. I hope that in the future the newspaper will show better judgment.

-Ashley Nickerson is a sophomore

business management major.