Sisterhood also positive

As a journalism major, I am appalled at the manner in which the Northeastern News covered the Panhellenic Recruitment. On page three of the last issue, the staff masked news commentaries as actual news stories. The two reporters obviously ignored the fundamental principal of objectivity while researching and writing these articles. I do not disagree with their right to publish their opinions, but those opinions should not have been presented under the words “the lowdown of rushing” in the news section of the publication. These articles did not cover the recruitment process. These stories did not feature news.

The purpose of recruitment is to allow college women who are interested in sororities to acquaint themselves with and potentially join these chapters. Lea Schmidt said, “Driving fiery nails through my eyes” was a better alternative to rushing. That is not the prevailing attitude among rushees. The young women who circulate the rush room are enthusiastic and interested in sorority life – that is why they are there. Sending reporters, who have no interest in joining a sorority, was a pre-written story and a waste of a $15 fee. These girls came to our chapter rooms to confirm the stereotype that all sorority girls are shallow and fake. By being close-minded, these girls missed the real story.

Sororities are a different breed of student organizations. We do not expect people to understand how important our sisterhood is to us, but don’t criticize it. Sororities are not about appearances, they are about finding a supportive group of women with interests similar to your own. We do not spend the countless hours devoted to our chapters teasing our hair and applying nail polish. Readers of The NU News will not read stories about the devotion to scholarship, numerous philanthropy events, community service, and participation in all forms of campus activities, which are major functions of sororities.

The NU News did not search for the truth; it wanted gossip. The hypocrisy in criticizing us for discouraging the tolerance of others is inexcusable. I am extremely disappointed with the publication.

-Kimberly Connick is a middler journalism major, a member of Sigma Delta Tau and VP of Membership for Panhellenic.