Letter to the Editor: RSA put heart, effort into Husky Hunt

To say the organizers of the Husky Heart “lacked heart” (“Husky Hunt exhausts, endangers students,” Nov. 5) is not only inaccurate, but incredibly disrespectful. After all of the hours they spent in preparation, that statement is downright ridiculous.

Whether you appreciated it or not is immaterial. Their hard work and dedication provided you with the opportunity to participate in one of the largest and most well-organized events on campus. And it was just that – an opportunity. Husky Hunters chose to undergo a 24-hour scavenger hunt because they wanted to. That the event staff and the Resident Student Association (RSA) have even been able to coordinate such a massive event for the past two years is an unparalleled achievement.

Regarding weather, the whole RSA team committed to running the Husky Hunt endured just as much exhaustion and chaos as those participating in the event. Even if RSA were responsible for the weather, there’s no excuse for whining and crying about the rain. Ponchos were made available for anyone worried about messing up their hair. From the staff’s perspective, it was a controlled chaos.

Helmets were provided and required by those using RSA’s bicycles, and if anything were to get out of hand on the hunter’s side, there was an RSA hotline open for support, as well as a pick-up vehicle students could call if they felt unsafe. Yes, bicycling in the rain is not ideal, but it’s far from life threatening; there’s no need to be a wet blanket about it.

Risk Management went over the entire list and verified the safety of each and every one. Items would have not been allowed on the list if they had been considered unsafe.

Again, the Husky Hunt is voluntary. Participants are not obligated to finish. They are only bound by peer-pressure and individual dedication to their team.

I extend my thanks to Cat Armato, RSA’s vice president for programming, and all of RSA for its labor and effort these past few weeks. The foundation for the Husky Hunt has been solidified and Northeastern will be privileged with many more sleepless Husky Hunt weekends in the future.

– Bob Mandanas is a sophomore industrial engineering major and a former member of the Resident Student Association.