Facets of abortion explored

Sex is as much a part of the college experience as text books and classes. Students are engaging in the experience that feels good, but comes with many consequences.

One of these consequences could be an unplanned pregnancy. With this situation comes the question of whether or not to follow through with the pregnancy.

According to Lakshmi Anatnarayan, project coordinator of Abortion Access Project, 55 percent of women between the ages of 20 and 29 have abortions every year.

There are two types of procedures available for women considering the possibility of an abortion. One is a medical abortion and the other is surgical. A medical abortion, or the “abortion pill,” requires two visits to the clinic. On the first visit the woman will take a pill called mifepristone (also known as RU-486). On days 2, 3 or 4 she will also take another another pill called misoprosolthat must be inserted vaginally. It usually takes several hours for the abortion to be completed. A follow-up visit will take place between days 4 and 14. If the medical abortion is not successful, a surgical abortion will be necessary.

A surgical abortion requires a tube to be attached to the uterus through the cervix, and the uterine contents emptied by suction.

Both abortion procedures have side affects.

Among the disadvantages of the medical abortion is the fact that it takes several days and if the procedure fails the patient will then have to go through the ordeal of a surgical abortion. An obvious disadvantage of a surgical abortion is the invasiveness of the procedure. The cost of both a medical and surgical abortion is $350 or more depending on where the individual goes to have the procedure done.

“Most health insurance plans either do not cover abortion or offer a small portion of the cost of the procedure,” said Anatnarayan.

There are different reasons people choose not to carry a baby to full term.

“Twenty-one percent of women abort because of inadequate finances, another 21 percent are unready for the responsibility, and 16 percent said their lives would change too much,” said Anantnarayan.

Abortion is not the only option available to mothers who are faced with an unplanned pregnancy.

“I usually give the students three options