Casino trip draws scrutiny

By Matt Collette

Planners of this year’s Senior Week want the week to include a trip to the Connecticut resort and casino Mohegan Sun. But the Class of 2008 has yet to receive approval for such a trip.

Although gambling is legal in Connecticut, Northeastern students are still required to follow the Code of Student Conduct, which bans on-campus gambling and requires students to follow laws that apply on-campus even while they are out of such jurisdictions.

Last year’s senior class attempted to organize a similar trip, but the Northeastern administrators did not approve it. However, two years ago, the Class of 2006 organized a day trip to Mohegan Sun as part of its Senior Week activities.

This year’s senior class said they are putting in a lot of effort to get the trip approved. The trip would be included among other annual events, like a harbor cruise, a trip to Fenway Park to see a Red Sox game and a day at Six Flags.

“Last year, [the class of 2007] decided they wanted to do it, but didn’t push hard enough,” said senior class president Chris Haner.

Haner said the class would organize a number of events at Mohegan Sun. One plan was to rent out a space for a private dance party.

Tom Kelly, a member of the class council who Haner said has been pushing the hardest for a trip to Mohegan Sun, said he feels the trip would offer much more than gambling.

“It’s really giving people a lot of options in a large space that we can’t handle in the city,” Kelly said.

Northeastern spokesperson Fred McGrail said a decision on the trip has yet to be finalized.

“My understanding is that our policy is we don’t sponsor trips involving gambling,” he said.

But the senior class says their trip would not promote gambling.

“I don’t think that by going down there we’re encouraging people to gamble,” Haney said. “I know I’m not going to gamble. I think that’s kind of ridiculous.”

According to Northeastern’s Code of Student Conduct, “on campus gambling … is prohibited.” It also mandates that students follow all laws that apply to Northeastern, which include Boston and Massachusetts laws, even when outside of its jurisdiction. And while Gov. Deval Patrick has proposed legislation that would allow some gambling within the Commonwealth, it carries no legislative force until they are passed by the Massachusetts Legislature.

“Those are Gov. Patrick’s proposals,” McGrail said. “Those aren’t laws yet.”

Kelly said he doesn’t think this should be an issue because it’s not just a gambling trip. He stressed that Mohegan Sun is a resort with shopping, music and clubs as other entertainment options and that the class would organize activities in a private space away from the gaming floor.

Haner and Kelly said they have been working with their class advisor Angelique Anderson, Vice President for Student Affairs Ed Klotzbier and Senior Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Life Philomena Mantella to get the trip approved by the university counsel’s office.

“We hope to know within the next two weeks,” Haner said. “If we get a no from them, we do plan on putting some pressure on them so we can get a yes.”

Klotzbier declined to comment on the issue.

However, Haner said the class didn’t plan to go as far as to stage a protest, but instead said, “We’ll probably just write them a letter.”

If the trip is approved, the senior class council will begin making plans, a move they haven’t been able to do without a university sanction, Haner said.

“We’re waiting to get the go ahead, and then we’ll contact [Mohegan Sun],” he said.