Chaves leaves Northeastern for similar post at UMass

Mere months after Athletic Director Ian McCaw resigned and accepted the AD post at UMass-Amherst, Assistant Athletic Director Bill Chaves is doing the same.

Chaves, also the director of External Affairs at NU, will take over the Assistant AD post at Amherst under his former boss.

On May 22, 2001 Chaves was hired to be the director of External Affairs at NU. During his tenure, he was responsible for corporate sponsorship and marketing in the athletics department.

One of his most notable responsibilities at Northeastern was coordinating the “mini-game” during the first intermission of all home men’s hockey games. The game, a fan favorite, features children battling it out on the ice playing hockey for five minute stretches.

Prior to his work with Northeastern, Chaves was the director of athletics and intramurals at Enfield (Conn.) Public Schools. During his three years spent on the job, Chaves controlled over 80 interscholastic athletic programs, in addition to 10 intramural sports. In addition to managing the 90-plus programs, Chaves was responsible for negotiating one of the nation’s first high school apparel and equipment contracts with Reebok.

Chaves was also the founder and co-chair of the Enfield Athletic Hall of Fame. As a result of his enduring effort, the society was able to maintain itself as a completely self-funded endeavor.

From 1995-1998, Chaves was the director of Sports Information at Quinnipiac College in Hamden, Conn.