Volleyball drops the ball at New Hampshire

By Jeff Schiable

The Husky volleyball team lost a crucial America East match-up to the University of New Hampshire 3-1 Tuesday. The Wildcats entered the match 15-10 overall and 5-1 in the America East and defeated NU 30-25, 32-30, 27-30, 30-26. Northeastern’s record falls to 13-14 overall and 5-2 in the America East.

The Huskies started the weekend Friday night with a victory over the Binghamton Bearcats (30-17, 30-28, 30-27) and finished it off with the defeat of the Albany Great Danes (30-24, 22-30, 30-18, and 30-21) Saturday. The victories marked their fourth and fifth straight wins, respectively, and put their record at 13-13 on the season and 5-1 in the America East. NU’s recent success has put them atop the conference.

Albany entered Saturday’s match with a record of 12-10 overall and 2-3 in America East play. Northeastern began the evening winning a closely contested opening game 30-24. The game was highlighted by sophomore Rebecca Holland, who notched seven kills on eight attacks.

Game two began closely as well. Albany managed to pull away with a 6-0 run fueled by freshman Eileen Nicole Rodriguez and her blistering serves. Albany would go on to win the game 30-22. Freshman Larissa Adomat and senior Lindsay Wagner each earned five kills apiece as NU managed to get back on track in the third game, winning 30-18. The fourth game was all Huskies as they went on to win 30-21 and take the match three games to one.

Northeastern was led by Adomat, who tallied seventeen kills on thirty-three attacks. Holland (15 kills, 10 digs) Wagner (11 kills, 15 digs) and Spangler (11 kills, 15 digs) all contributed double-doubles for the Huskies. Junior Kristin Ursillo added to the NU hot streak with forty-six assists, four service aces and six digs.

Albany was led by freshman Kristin Norton who had a game-high 23 kills and 10 digs. Senior Alissa Gibbs added 20 kills and nine digs while sophomore Jill Dombrowski contributed 51 assists and seven digs.

Binghamton entered Friday night’s game with an overall record of 7-13 and 2-2 in America East play. The Huskies won the first game 30-17, highlighted by a 9-0 run and a headfirst dive into the scorer’s table by freshman Lindsay Feller in a failed attempt to continue the volley. Unfazed by the event, she recovered to knock home the winning point, giving the Huskies a the first victory of the day.

Northeastern’s momentum continued until midway through the second game when a 17-7 run gave the Bearcats a 27-26 lead. The Huskies would recover winning the game 30-28. Game three, which was also closely contested, saw numerous lead changes with the Huskies emerging on top 30-27, giving them the game and the match.

Freshman Larissa Adomat and senior Lindsay Wagner each had a game-high 12 kills while sophomore Sara Bill lead the Huskies with 10 digs. Binghamton was paced by sophomore Jennifer Smith’s nine kills, 12 assists and seven digs. Sophomore Anne Crocus, who leads the America East Conference in blocks per game, added four solo blocks and four block assists.

Head coach Ken Nichols attributes the team’s recent success to solid play. While the Huskies overall record doesn’t seem very imposing, Nichols attributes the team’s rough start to an intense non-conference schedule. The Huskies used these games to analyze their talent and depth and come together as a team. Now, when the games mean something, NU is flying high. Nichols attributes the recent success to nothing more than solid volleyball.

Beginning October 29th, NU hits the road for a five-match trip. All five games pit Northeastern against America East rivals. Squaring off first against New Hampshire, the trip concludes November 9th against Binghamton. Nichols says being at home is really just an added luxury and is very confident that the team will be successful in the upcoming road trip. He says the team is unaffected by playing away from the friendly confines of Solomon Court.

The Huskies will be back at Solomon Court to close out the regular season Nov. 15 against Maine (7 p.m.). During a special Senior Day ceremony, the Huskies will pay tribute to seniors Kelly Cognac, Jennifer Endres, Erin Spangler and Lindsay Wagner.

Next up for Northeastern is Hartford, who play host to the Huskies Friday at 7 p.m.