Huskies bulldoze Terriers, stay atop America East

By Max Lederman

Northeastern’s men’s soccer team headed into Parsons Field Wednesday in search of their fifth straight victory at the expense of the Boston University Terriers (7-4-3, 2-1-1 America East).

The search didn’t take long. Northeastern (8-6-2, 5-1-0 America East) got off to a quick start by having their way with BU for the entire first half, and eventually taking the contest, 2-1.

“Our goal was to come out strong, and put BU on their heels,” said head coach Ed Matz. “I think we accomplished that.”

The Huskies got on the board at 7:02 into the game when Bennie Prueske set up the reigning America East Conference Player of the Week, Michael Cipriano, for NU’s first tally of the game.

“Cipriano had a great finish on his goal,” coach Matz said.

This duo was not done, however. Shortly after the host’s first goal, the roles were reversed when Cipriano found Prueske at almost the same spot. Prueske, who was named the America east co-rookie of the week, sent it home for Northeastern’s second goal of the game.

“We came out and took it to them,” said sophomore Joseph Parrish on the teams quick start.

“We probably could’ve scored a couple more goals earlier in the game,” said Matz.

However, Northeastern turned it down a notch in the second half.

“In the second half we pretty much packed it in and let them come at us,” said senior captain Nate Houghton.

Although the Terriers got on the board in the second half with senior Anthony D’Angelo’s goal, the Huskies maintained their composure.

“BU had a good second half, possession-wise, but they just didn’t create a lot of opportunities for themselves to score,” said Matz.

The victory marks NU’s fifth straight victory and the second straight game that they have not gone into overtime.

“We always come out with fire against BU,” Houghton said. “I have never lost to them in a conference game.”

Northeastern went into the game against BU having not lost since October 5. The naming of Prueske as conference co-rookie of the week marks the third straight week that the Huskies have had a player honored in the conference. Last week, Michael Cipriano was named player of the week with junior Atha Kirkopoulos earning the same honors the previous week.

“We have a lot of clutch guys on our team that can step it up when we need them,” said Houghton.

Northeastern seems to be hitting their stride at just the right time. Northeastern travels to Albany Wednesday and will host Binghamton next Sunday for their last game of the regular season.

“I think we are all pretty excited for the playoffs this year, but we still have two games to go. We cannot get ahead of ourselves,” said Houghton.

The only thing they have gotten ahead of in the past five games has been their opponents.