Cross Country: Runners compete in CAA Championships

By Cynthia Retamozo

After a rough season complete with broken limbs and stress injuries, the men’s and women’s cross country teams ran their final major races of the season at the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Championships Friday in Hampstead, NY.

The men’s side placed seventh out of eight teams. Leading the pack was freshman Andy Cazeau, who crossed the line in 24th place at 25:57.4 seconds for the 8K course. Cazeau said it was his first time leading the team and that his success is helped by cross country coach and coordinator Renny Waldren, who gives him advice prior to starting races.

“I listened to the coach and put everything I had,” he said. “So I went out and ran as fast as I could.”

Finishing in 30th for the men’s side was senior Tom Brown, who came in at 26:14.8 seconds. This was Brown’s last CAA competition. He said this was the best team he’s seen during his years as a Husky and a great way to end his collegiate career.

“It was a nice way to go out. Each year we improved as a team,” he said. “I enjoyed my time on NU cross country and I’m very grateful for it.”

Finishing behind Brown was sophomore Joshua Boss (26:32.9) in 37th, junior Brian Kennedy (26:39.9) in 42nd and rounding up the top five was junior Bryan Brunelli in 46th (27:18.7).

The women’s side placed fifth out of the 10 teams in the 6K course. Junior Kristie Gagnon was the top finisher, coming in at 14th in 22:33.8 seconds. Junior Brittany Moriarty finished 25th at 23:01.2, seconds ahead of freshman Ann Scully, who took 26th (23:08.9). Freshman Seri Gordon finished 30th (23:16.6) and freshman Christiana Gallagher came in 38th (23:38.9).

Although Waldren said the team ran “a good, but not great, race,” he is proud of its achievements throughout the season. He said every runner achieved a personal best at the site since when they lasy ran there at the Hofstra Invitational in September.

Also, Gagnon came back after recovering from a broken arm and Moriarty had been dealing with stress fractures all season.

On Nov. 10, the Huskies will compete in their last meet of the season, the NCAA Championships in Franklin Park. Waldren said he may sit his top runners to allow them rest and prepare them for the upcoming winter track season. He plans to have his less experienced runners compete.

“This is by far the youngest team I’ve worked with,” he said. “It’s been a great year for all of them, and at Franklin Park they’ll get a little more experience.”