Costume party to promote feminism

By Jeanine Budd

Flyers and posters displayed around campus read, “I’m not a Trick, I’m not a Treat, I’m a Woman.”

The event advertised, a dance and costume party, will be held at afterHOURS at 9 p.m. tomorrow.

Rebecca Dufendach, president of the Feminist Student Organization (FSO), said the organization is hosting the event to raise money for the Afghan Midwife Fund.

The Afghan Midwife Fund benefits Afghan women and girls, one in six of whom will die from pregnancy or childbirth-related complications, according to the Feminist Majority Foundation’s (FMF) website.

“It’s an important goal for the organization to work toward,” Dufendach said.

Dufendach said the FSO, which does its organizing through the FMF, is trying to raise as much money as possible, but has no set expectations. While the dance is free, students are encouraged to make donations.

Students are also encouraged to wear costumes and enjoy the candy and cupcakes at the event, Dufendach said.

“I’m trying to walk the line between ‘fun’ and ‘for a cause,'” she said. “I don’t want it to be something that lacks purpose, but I definitely want it to be just a great time.”

Freshman undecided major Megan Kenney said students should attend for the dancing.

“I mean, who doesn’t love a costume party?” she asked.

Dufendach’s friend Ryan Sciaino, a senior music technology major, who is also known as “DJ Ghost Dad,” will provide music at the event.

“Expect a lot of reggae, hip hop, club music and basically a mix of everything,” Sciaino said. “It’s going to be a lot of fun and a great time. Students definitely should come.”

From drawing up the budget to ordering T-shirts and making advertisements, the FSO has taken many steps to make the dance party possible.

Dufendach said she urged students to attend the dance for fun and to support the Afghan Midwife Fund.

“It’s a chance to dance and donate money to a good cause,” she said. “Plus, it’s free food and free dancing.”

Aside from Tuesday’s dance, the FSO meets weekly at Ryder Hall to plan similar events and discuss current issues that involve women in the community.

“We discuss how being a feminist mixes in with everyday life,” Dufendach said. “Basically, we talk about anything that anyone feels the need to talk about that day.”

Continuing with the theme of having an open dialogue on women’s issues, the FSO is also hosting Maria Hinojosa, a senior correspondent for the CBS newsmagazine “NOW” and host of NPR’s “Latino USA” at a future event. Hinojosa will be speaking about her life as a Latin journalist.