International co-op opportunities

By Mohamed Abdulla

Northeastern University was recognized as the number one cooperative educational program in the country by World News and Report, allowing students an opportunity for worthwhile and beneficial experiences in a real work environment. However, few realize the options availble with the International Cooperative program at Northeastern.

The International co-op program, previously known as the International Exchange program, was established in 1979. Since then, it has given American students opportunities to work outside the country and gain valuable cultural exposure, learning about different aspects of foreign cultures.

Elizabeth J. Cameron, the International co-op program director, said, “This program gives students an exciting opportunity to look for employment and gain an experience outside the country. Students who have been involved in this program have come back grateful about how it made a difference in their career.”

Since Sept. 11, the department has undergone changes that have altered the mission of the program. The program once took students from other countries besides the United States. Since Sept. 11, tougher immigration laws were passed.

“It is harder to bring students from other countries,” Cameron said. Instead of exchanging students, the department has has shifted its focus toward sending Northeastern students outside the country for cultural and work experience.

If students are interested in a co-op in another country, they must meet certain requirements in order for their application to be given proper consideration. It is necessary for students to have completed two years in their major, have a 2.75 GPA or higher, and have completed two previous co-ops. However, there is flexibility if students make an effort to gain employment in other countries. Students are advised to look up companies around the world and e-mail them about employment opportunities.

The International Co-op Program has sent Northeastern students to many different places around the globe. Cameron advises students who are interested in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Germany, the Republic of Ireland, the Scandinavian countries, Iceland and Canada. Another advisor, Sandra Costa guides those interested in Spain, France, Portugal and Latin America. Priscilla Kelso advises students who are interested in traveling to Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and other countries in the Pacific Rim. If students are interested in a country that is not on the list, they should go down to the International Co-op Office and ask if it would be possible to work in that particular country. The department will make an effort to acquire a work permit for the student to work in the country of their choice.

When asked how the semester conversation will affect the program, Cameron said, “We have always done six month placement programs. Not only [will it] help Northeastern students gain valuable experience working, but it will give students time to embrace the cultural lifestyle of another country.”

The next International Co-op meeting is on October 31, at noon. If students have any questions about international co-ops or have specific questions, they should come to the meeting and ask the different advisors.

The International Co-op Office is located on the second floor in the Stearns Center. If you have specific questions to ask Cameron, she can be reached at 617-373-3772, or e-mail her at [email protected].