Winter dance concert heats things up

By Erin Oliveri

The members of the Northeastern University Dance Company (NUDANCO) sashayed across the stage in front of an audience of students and family members for the group’s fifth annual winter concert.

The show was held in Blackman Auditorium Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. It included 14 student-choreographed dance numbers divided into two acts, with genres ranging from tap to hip-hop and including everything in between.

The auditorium was dark until the curtain opened; the music started and a variety of colored lights shined onto a white projector screen that hung in the background of the stage.

“Nobody Dances Anymore” by Brandtson, choreographed by junior psychology major Katie Phillips, was the first number performed. Dancers came out in 1980s-inspired outfits, complete with leg warmers, and danced to the funky electronic rock song.

“Blind Winter” by Missy Higgins, choreographed by junior nursing major Stephanie Morgenstern, was a rock piano ballad, featuring three dancers clad in turquoise outfits. The piece used modern and interpretive dance styles.

Freshman civil engineering major Shannon Brown choreographed the sole tap number to “Sunshine Go Away Today” by Jonathan Edwards. In casual outfits, jeans and button-down shirts, nine dancers tapped across the stage.

One of the numbers with a large number of dancers was a hip-hop inspired medley featuring short snippets from popular songs like “Pop, Lock and Drop It” by Huey, “Go Hard” by Lil’ Wayne, “Get it Shawty” by Lloyd, “Lovestoned” by Justin Timberlake and “The Way I Are” by Timbaland.

The dancers came out dressed completely in black, but midway through the performance they took off their hoodies to reveal shiny gold halter tops. The number was predominantly hip-hop, but some traditional dance moves were mixed in.

After a short intermission, the second half opened with “This Woman’s Work” by Kate Bush. The dance was choreographed by NUDANCO secretary Jenna Bach. This soft, slow piano piece showcased 13 dancers doing pirouettes, arabesques and spins around the stage.

Doc Powell’s “Cool Like That,” was choreographed by senior behavioral neuroscience major Robin Oritz and featured old-school hip-hop moves. It was portrayed as a dance battle between three students wearing blue hoodies and three wearing red.

The dance for Timbaland’s remix of One Republic’s “Apologize” was choreographed by NUDANCO president Dinah Alobeid. It featured four dancers in black dresses and one, Alobeid, in pink.

Roisin Murphy’s “Rama Lama Bang Bang,” choreographed by NUDANCO vice president Margaux Cormier, was the number that brought the show to a close. The large group of dancers wore vertically striped shirts with different shades of brown and beige. Dancers performed cartwheels and creative robotic moves to coincide with the song’s rhythmic beat.

Finally, dancers from each number came out and performed short dances to one song, giving the audience a chance to applaud for all of the performers.

Genna Hornstein, a freshman business major, came to see her roommate dance. She said she liked “Rama Lama Bang Bang” best.

Kris Eberle, a middler electrical engineering major, brought a rose to give to his girlfriend after the show ended. He said the hip-hop number was his favorite.

NUDANCO’s 50 members practiced 14 hours a week, Alobeid said. She added that all of the dancers have worked hard and that she was pleased with Saturday’s performance.

“I think it went amazingly well,” she said. “Our hard work really paid off.”