Kappa Delta to join NU

By Matt Collette

After narrowing the field down to three contenders out of nine applicants, the five sororities on campus voted to have Kappa Delta establish a colony on campus starting in early 2008.

The vote followed presentations by Kappa Delta and two other contenders in early November and a forum open to the university community at large Nov. 19. The two other options were Kappa Kappa Gamma and Zeta Tau Alpha.

“We are thrilled to be inviting such a progressive and inspiring organization to our campus,” said Krystal Beaulieu, president of the Panhellenic Council.

The decision to add a sixth sorority to Northeastern’s Panhellenic community was made because many more students rushed for sororities than could be accepted several years in a row. Last year, 180 women came out for the 122 open spots.

After the presentations and the forum, each sorority had discussions among themselves.

“The five sororities went back to their chapters and each sorority decided who they were voting for,” Beaulieu said.

The sororities each got one vote and cast ballots Nov. 26. Kappa Delta was selected, though vote tallies remain confidential.

The sorority is “very excited” to come to Northeastern, said Kappa Delta Executive Director Melanie Shield, though the sorority has yet to enter formal talks with anyone at the university.

Kappa Delta was founded in 1897 and has 138 chapters across the United States. The group does philanthropy work with Prevent Child Abuse America and Girl Scouts of America. The sorority also partners with Dove’s Real Beauty Campaign and worked to establish National Friendship Day, which acknowledges the bonds of friendships that connect women.

Kappa Delta, Shield said, it is able to distinguish itself through the causes it supports.

“In truth all sororities are very similar, we have the same goals. The one thing that Kappa Delta can bring to campus is [attention to] major national issues regarding women,” Shield said.

Beaulieu said a major factor in the decision to bring Kappa Delta to campus was their willingness to work with other sororities on campus.

“We’re not just strong individually, but we pride ourselves on a willingness to work together,” she said.

Shield said Kappa Delta is excited to work with sororities who network as much as they do.

“We’re certainly excited about being part of the Panhellenic presence at Northeastern,” Shield said. “We just want to strengthen the system that is already in place.”

Soon after Christmas, Kappa Delta will send a consultant to live in Boston and will start building its colony as the spring semester begins. A colony refers to a new chapter that, if successful, will be installed six to eight weeks later. Around mid-January the sorority will start seeking rushes if the colonization is successful, Beaulieu said.

While Beaulieu said she thinks many students have the idea that only freshmen rush sororities, she said Kappa Delta hopes to recruit women who represent a broad cross-section of Northeastern.

“The colony does not want 60 college freshmen. They want women who have established leadership on campus. It will be interesting to see what kind of women the colony attracts,” she said.