NU’s best and brightest awarded

By Justin Robello

Twelve of Northeastern University’s “best and brightest” were honored at the Raytheon Amphitheater in Egan Research Center on Oct. 31.

Those 12 students were named 2002 Presidential Scholars in August, and were honored in last week’s ceremonies. The event was attended by President Richard M. Freeland and Provost Ahmed T. Abdelal, as well as the family and friends of the recipients.

Those honored at the ceremony were: Elizabeth Elman, cardiopulmonary and exercise sciences; Oksana Golovencho, business administration; Katherine Jensen, mechanical engineering; JennyMae Kho, psychology; Michael Lovette, chemical engineering; Janelle K. Moulder, behavioral neuroscience; Chigozie Opara, pharmacy; Catherine Rutledge, nursing; Erin L. Sunderland, English and psychology; and Sara Turner, criminal justice.

Unable to attend the proceeding were fellow honorees Stefanie Anne Mnayarji, economics and international affairs; and Jennifer Noveck, international affairs.

President Freeland presented the awards personally to each of the winners. “These are the students that we think best exemplify in all dimensions, the highest form of achievement at Northeastern university.”

Twelve middlers were accepted for the scholarship out of 265 applicants. They have an average QPA of 3.9.

“It’s my biggest achievement to be selected out of so many students,” said Oksana Golovchenko, who enjoys studying philosophy and playing tennis in her spare time.

“I’m very honored, but at the same time I don’t know what to expect. I want to make sure that I live up to the expectations of such an honor,” said Janelle Moulder, an honors student who someday hopes to become a pediatric surgeon at St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital in Memphis, TN.

The scholarship covers the cost of tuition for the remaining three years of each recipient’s time at Northeastern.

“It was very important. Paying for college was a huge burden for my family,” said JennyMae Kho, who is currently writing a poetry manuscript with one of her professors.

President Freeland congratulated not only the winners in his speech but their parents, professors, and especially the donors who contributed to the award.

“To me, this is one of the most moving and wonderful things about higher education in this country is people who have had opportunities and done well transfer to the next generation some of what they have saved so that those coming behind them can have some similar types of opportunities,” said Freeland, “That’s what these scholarships represent.”

Despite their achievements, the Presidential Scholars are much like regular college students.

“A lot of {us} do community service,” said Erin L. Sunderland, a member of the women’s crew team. “We also just hang out like everyone else.”