‘View Boston’ offers 360 degree views, raises questions about ticket pricing

Jessica Xing
The entrance to View Boston. The 360 degree observation deck opened June 15 in the Prudential Center.

Promising “all of Boston in one view,” View Boston’s 360 degree observation deck 52 floors up is one of the city’s highest viewpoints. Located atop the Prudential Center, View Boston offers attendees a range of experiences and accompanying prices that have sparked curiosity among locals and tourists alike. 

View Boston advertises their 3D model of the city, interactive neighborhood discovery tool, immersive theater screen and personalized itineraries —all in addition to the main attraction: the Cloud Terrace. 

“View Boston is so much more than just the view,” said Rebecca Stoddard, vice president of marketing at Boston Properties, or BXP, in an emailed statement to The News. “View Boston was built with the intention for this to be the first place you visit in Boston to not only see the view, but also be able to explore and learn about all this great city has to offer.” 

The 24-foot windows of the Cloud Terrace showcase every Boston landmark, from Fenway Park to the Citgo sign to the State House.  

Sophia Meadors, a third-year behavioral neuroscience major, visited with her family shortly after the June opening. 

“I got to see where I live, I saw Fenway, you could see literally everything in Boston from there,” Meadors said. “I do think it’s a little bit overpriced because there’s a lot that you can do up there, but I was probably up there for 30 minutes in total.”

Access starts at $34.99, with add-ons available like a priority pass, guided tour and spending voucher for drinks and shopping. Dining packages can be purchased at View Boston’s restaurant, The Beacon, which cost up to $99 per person. Attendees can also opt to spend extra to access Stratus, the bar and lounge area, which offers a 10% discount to college students of age.

BXP, the company that owns the Prudential Center, spent over $182 million in renovations to create View Boston. The space was previously home to the Top of the Hub restaurant and the Skywalk observatory, both of which were closed down during the pandemic. 

JP and Kate Larchevequ, who visited the Cloud Terrace and planned to try out the bar, shared Meadors’ sentiment. 

“It’s way too expensive. I don’t know though because the US has a lot of inflation, so maybe it makes sense,” JP Larchevequ said.

Various deals like buying online and family packages are ways to cut down costs. Malia Adams purchased her ticket via Groupon. 

“Knowing it’s $27.99 on Groupon, I will pay that,” Adams said. Adams is from Seattle, where she says the Space Needle has similar pricing. 

“Everyone nitpicks prices, you could compare it to an amusement park or something, I guess it just depends where your priorities lie,” Adams said. 

Despite debates about pricing, View Boston has been attracting crowds since opening. 

“View Boston’s first three months have been highly successful since opening,” Stoddard said. “We experienced strong customer demand and are seeing a steady increase in visitor attendance.”

View Boston is open everyday from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. for reservations and walk-ins.

The ticketing station for View Boston. Packages that include more perks such as a priority pass or a guided tour were priced higher. (Jess)
Jessica Xing
Jessica Xing, Photo Editor
Jessica Xing is a third-year graphic design major with a minor in journalism. She has previously served as deputy photo editor and design editor and is excited to continue working with photographers for The News this semester.