Soccer falls in AE playoffs

By Joe Rubin

HARTFORD, Conn. – The women’s soccer team (8-8-4, 4-2-2 AE) ended their postseason run, losing to the defending America East champs the Hartford Hawks (13-6-0, 6-2-0 AE), 3-0 last Friday.

It was going to be a tough contest for the Huskies, who entered the playoffs down four starters with an inexperienced freshman defense, and played a team that is “funded to win the America East,” commented NU head coach Ed Matz.

The Hawks flew with force just 3:49 into the first half. Hawks senior Katharina Linder, the America East offensive player of the year, took the ball down the line, and as NU goalie Cynthia Slowik came out to challenge, Linder drove past her and sent the ball hurtling into the empty net.

Almost twelve minutes later at 15:30, UH junior Jeanette Akerlund pushed the score to 2-0. Senior Annika Michaels hurled a deep throw to Linder into Husky territory. She sent the ball to the center, where Akerlund blasted the second goal.

With 20:40 left in the first half, Akerlund came up with another score for the hosts. Sophomore Malin Engman sent a centering pass to junior Cindy Walsh who dished it to Akerlund on a touch pass. Akerlund placed the ball into the net beautifully, giving the Hawks a 3-0 lead entering the half.

Northeastern held their own in the second half, but were unable to score, finishing the game down 3-0. Still, Matz was effusive in his praise of his players.

“My team made great strides this season and I’m proud of the way we played,” said Matz. “Hartford beat us here 3-0 earlier this season and they proved again tonight just how tough they are. There is no room for error. They will capitalize on mistakes. We were a little shorthanded tonight, which didn’t help, but I give credit to Hartford, they are very talented.”

Although the season has come to a heartbreaking end, Matz looks forward to next season where he still has a young, but now more experienced team.

“Look at what they have accomplished,” says Matz, “I am very proud.”