Book It Around Boston unites the community with the Boston Public Library

Kara Orsini
Participants gather in front of the Roxbury branch of the Boston Public Library before starting their routes. This event, in partnership with Heartbreak Hill Running Company, encouraged residents to explore the various locations of the BPL.

Book It Around Boston garnered readers and runners alike to participate in a journey through multiple Boston Public Library, or BPL, locations across the city. On Saturday, the BPL partnered with Heartbreak Hill Running Company, a local business committed to building community through running, to create this hybrid reading and running event. 

About 50 participants gathered at the library’s Roxbury branch to collect their BPL Passport, a booklet to physically document each of the library branches they visit, before starting out on the routes created by Heartbreak Hill Running Company. Participants had to stop inside each of the library branches along their route to receive the unique stamp of that location for their passport. 

Participants came readily dressed in an array of colorful windbreakers in anticipation of the expected rain. Despite the dreary weather, participants were excitedly exploring the library’s event flyers and free book rack or conversing with the librarians while waiting for their journeys to begin. 

The event aimed to bring residents to different BPL locations along the guided routes, briefly going inside and visiting each one. In doing so, participants were able to see what the library has to offer.  

“Libraries always have the reputation of being quiet and only for research, but libraries are not that at all,” said Caren Rosales, system-wide programs librarian for the BPL. 

The BPL system hosts a number of free events each week targeting different interests such as art, technology, fitness and more. Events allow individuals of all ages to regularly engage with members of the community while trying out a new activity, like knitting or tai chi.

“The library is what the community wants it to be,” Rosales said. “A day like this gets people in the door, and once people get in the door, they realize libraries aren’t a place you have to be so quiet.” 

Once participants arrived at the Roxbury BPL location, they were assigned a leader to guide them along their selected route. The routes varied from 3.5 to 20.0 miles, stopping at various BPL branches along the way.

Dan Fitzgerald, a cofounder of Heartbreak Hill, acknowledged the importance of community at the BPL as a reason for their involvement with Saturday’s event.

“They’ve continued [to demonstrate] what innovation and community access means, and for us, we try to do the same thing,” Fitzgerald said.  

Heartbreak Hill not only sells running gear, but has a membership program called the Heartbreakers, which intends to build a community of runners through training programs, networking and events. 

Runners, walkers and bikers joined together at Book It Around Boston to demonstrate the same sense of community. Prior to beginning their journeys, participants conversed with one another and library staff about the branches they’d be visiting, exemplifying the event’s purpose.

Madison Chan, a local employee at an online coding bootcamp, discussed her motivation for engaging with the BPL and participating in Book It Around Boston. 

“Libraries have always been such a safe space,” Chan said. “Whenever you go to a new city, being able to go to some place that is free that has so many great resources is so cool.” 

Chan also mentioned that she had never been to Roxbury before Saturday’s event, demonstrating the outreach of the BPL and their ability to connect residents with their community.