Sustainability and Bike Fair educates students about climate justice, environmentally friendly efforts around Northeastern

Mars Poper
Students engage with each other as they wait for their bikes to get checked by Bikes Not Bombs. Bikes Not Bombs provided free bike safety checks for Northeastern students throughout the fair.

The Sustainability and Bike Fair, hosted by the Northeastern Climate Justice and Sustainability Hub, provided an educational space to learn about sustainability efforts and opportunities on Northeastern’s campus. The event, which took place Sept. 26, was a bustling success. The Hub hosted a raffle for a prize box full of local sustainable products to incentivize students to participate. The Hub also displayed a spinning wheel full of educational questions about current sustainability efforts found around campus. The fair was created through the collaboration of numerous organizations. 

The Northeastern University Police Department, or NUPD, made an appearance, offering free bike registration to students in an effort to help prevent bike theft. Sarge, a community resource dog, was also in attendance to give students more reason to check out their booth and the services they were offering. Along with free bike registration, the fair featured an area to get bikes checked, fixed and registered for free through Bikes Not Bombs, a local bike organization dedicated to promoting social change through the bike community.

Multiple tables were managed by Northeastern students, faculty members and local organizations advocating for sustainability and social justice. This included Northeastern Votes, which encouraged people to register to vote for the upcoming elections, the Gardening Club which has a space where students can plant vegetables and other foliage, and the D’Amore-McKim School of Business sustainability committee also tabled, which raised awareness for their petition to ban plastic water bottles from campus.

Students engaged with tables, giving them a chance to learn more about the different sustainability actions and opportunities happening all around campus and how to get involved. As climate change becomes a more prevalent and dire issue in the world, seen through rising temperatures, water levels, and more, Northeastern organizations utilize Boston and campus resources to promote campus sustainability. The Hub and other organizations on campus hold events like these because it is now more important than ever to get younger people involved and advocate for the environment.