The Cow Parade moo-ves out of Boston after a successful summer benefitting the Jimmy Fund

Alexa Coultoff
“Udder Transformation,” a vibrantly painted cow created by Nancy-Lee Mauger. Mauger’s cow was sponsored by Jordan’s Furniture.

The Cow Parade, a national public art event featuring over 75 life-size, vibrantly decorated cow sculptures, officially concluded Sept. 27 after returning to Boston for the first time since 2006.

A project that recently celebrated its 75th anniversary, the Jimmy Fund’s Cow Parade has been striving to make progress in the cancer community for almost a century, raising more than $30 million for various charitable organizations since 1999.

For months, the exuberant form of artistic expression has quietly grazed its way into the Greater Boston area, leaving both art enthusiasts and everyday passersby with a newfound admiration for one particular animal — cows. 

With all proceeds going to benefit the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute’s efforts to fight cancer, hundreds of local artists joined the campaign, transforming the city’s urban landscapes into a harmonious blend of creativity and community engagement. 

Howie Green, a Boston artist specializing in pop art portraits and public art projects, has designed numerous cows for Cow Parade New England. Green believes there is no better way to support both local artists and a good cause than the Cow Parade.

“It’s just a really fun way for the general public to see art you might not normally see. In just this year, the response from the public was kind of overwhelming,” Green said. “I have had well over 200 emails and text messages from people sending me pictures of my cows when they see them around.” 

With extensive experience painting public murals, Green was first inclined to participate in the Cow Parade because it was unlike any event he had ever commissioned. 

“I just loved the whole idea. I thought it was ridiculous and hilarious and wonderful. The project’s sense of humor got to me right away, and I decided I had to do this,” Green said. “I love any kind of art that intersects with people’s lives in a way they don’t expect it to. When you’re walking down Newbury Street, and you see a cow… it kind of stops you in your tracks. Once you see a cow, you won’t forget it.”

After submitting over 20 sketches, three of them were ultimately chosen. From there, a long process of designing cows that would encapsulate his ideas commenced. 

“We [the artists] assembled and painted our cows in a warehouse barn in Somerville,” Green said. “It was almost like a cow barn. Everyone had their own stall, and artists would come in and paint their cows.”

While the Cow Parade may seem like a random and spontaneous endeavor, the experience of having his own artwork on display in Boston is especially meaningful to Green.

“The notion that I, as an artist, can have my art out in public where people can see it and interact with it rather than in a museum or a gallery where a limited number of people will see it is what I love about this event,” Green said.

Dawn Evans Scaltreto, a local Boston artist specializing in public art and illustrations, also heavily contributed to the parade, churning out five total cows. 

When beginning the process of designing her cows, Scaltreto’s inspiration was derived from something near and dear to the hearts of many Bostonians: sports.

“I really wanted to do a New England Patriots cow, and the idea of doing a Bill Belichick-inspired cow came to me,” Scaltreto said. “I painted it to wear a ‘property of New England Patriots’ jersey, like Bill Belichick’s hoodie. The cow’s got the microphone and the visor. He’s got a red penalty flag in his sock. I called it Bill Belicow.”

While donors from all over the country can bid on the parade’s cows, Scaltreto was happy to find that her artwork was sold to Boston’s very own Ace Ticket, a popular sports and concert ticket provider.  

“Bill Belicow will always be in the city of Boston now, revered by sports fans, hopefully forever more,” Scaltreto said. 

Bill Belicow, Scaltreto’s Bill Belichick-inspired cow. The cow was sold to Ace Ticket, a sports and concert ticket provider. (Alexa Coultoff)

For Scaltreto, witnessing the institute’s commitment to advancing cancer research and treatment was especially personal. 

“My sister had cancer and was treated in a Dana-Farber cancer institute,” Scaltreto said. “I just know how much it meant to her to have a place focusing on her type of cancer and taking such good care of her. It means a lot to me that all the money goes to a place working on cancer cures.”

Of all the memorable experiences she has had participating in the Cow Parade, her favorite is undoubtedly seeing the public’s reactions to the cows, Scaltreto said.

With over 75 cows throughout Boston, Scaltreto says she enjoys seeing people discover the “Easter eggs” she slips into her cow designs. 

“People will come to me, especially with the Fenway cow, and tell me all about the things they’ve found I secretly have hidden in my artwork,” Scaltreto said. “It’s just little things like a tiny ‘Where’s Waldo’ image, but it’s always so fun.”

One of the many Boston-themed cows that can be seen around the city. Titled “A Great Day at Fenway,” this cow was also designed and painted by Scaltreto. (Alexa Coultoff)

The recipient and buyer of Scaltreto’s Bill Belicow, Ace Ticket, could not be happier that they get to bring home such a meaningful piece of artwork and display it for all of Boston to see, April Martin, a senior account executive at the Ace Ticket office, said.  

In addition to the lively exuberance the cows bring to the city’s landscape, the “social-media-esque” features the parade offers are also beneficial for business, Martin said.

“I can’t tell you how many people come here and are trying to find all the cows throughout the city,” Martin said. “It is a great bonding experience for our people, and it’s a good thing for the tourists as well.”

While many people may view the cow standing tall outside of the Ace Ticket office as a festive prop, for others, Ace’s purchase and contribution to the fund represent something more. 

“We’ve had multiple people just come here to thank us,” Martin said. “Whether it’s the fact that they had cancer or they have a loved one affected by it, they are so thankful we donated to the Jimmy Fund. Just having people go out of their way to come in off the street to say ‘hey, thanks for doing this, thanks for donating’ is really, really special.”

About the Contributors
Juliette Piovoso
Juliette Piovoso, Deputy Campus Editor
Alexa Coultoff
Alexa Coultoff, Projects Editor
Alexa Coultoff is a second-year criminal justice and journalism combined major and projects editor of The News. This is her second semester as projects editor, where she hopes to continue bringing insights and investigations into our coverage. She is currently on co-op at the Metro desk of The Boston Globe. You can follow her on X @alexacoultoff